Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

First tantrum/meltdown outing

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 5 Replies
I put it out last weekend that my ds who is asd had a really bad tantrum while out at the lake, making it impossible for my dh and my dd to have fun. Well when it came time to do things i sent my dd n dh out by themselves. That way my ds isn't in the position that he feels uncomfortable in. So i planned a trip to farmers market, which usually is a chore with him too with all people there, but i made sure that he felt safe, comfortable, and he knew that he got a special treat at the end if he was good. He had a great time. He didn't ask to be picked up, no tantrum, not even a wimper of upset. I have to say thanks to all the moms advice. I took a little from a lot of them n it works for him. I think that if we keep it up, we will all be a lot happier.
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
wildchild.com
by Janine on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Thats awesum!
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:56 PM
I am so happy to hear you had a nice day!!! Lets hope for lots more of them!!!
We have such great kids!! Its so hard to balance them...so hard to walk that fine line of stretching them a little out if their comfort zones. Good job mom!!! Sounds like he was prepared and you set him up for a successful day!!! That - that success is the best positive reward- the little trinket helped-- but talk to him about how great he managed himself today!!!
Hugs!!! Nice to read!! Thanks for sharing!
beckir20
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I made sure if he felt a little too much that we stopped and got away from all of the people. He is nonverbal mostly but yesterday he was even verbal. I hate not being together with my dh and dd but if it makes my ds happy then that's what is going to happen.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Youll figure out the balance... :)
I think not doing the fun typical things with my kid has been a huge struggle... Fairs, circus, beach, amusement parks, parades. These were all things I loved as a kid - ok... Still love! My son cant really do those things... YET.

Quoting beckir20:

I made sure if he felt a little too much that we stopped and got away from all of the people. He is nonverbal mostly but yesterday he was even verbal. I hate not being together with my dh and dd but if it makes my ds happy then that's what is going to happen.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Glad to hear that you 2 had a great day. Sounds like more outings are in store for you guys!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)