Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

3 noises your kid hates!

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM
  • 46 Replies

What are three noises that your kid cant stand? 

- the loud flush of a public toilet

- ugh, the hand dryer in the bathroom that sounds like a sonic boom! 

- sirens

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:57 PM

To be honest the only thing that sets him off is hearing another child crying. Especially a baby

Krystal.Ingalls
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Any toliet flushing.

Any toy that makes sounds when you push a button.

Sirens or Alarms of any kind.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Man, so many sounds alarm my daughter. I'll give you 3 of the sounds that made Target an overwhelming trip tonight : a crying baby, a heavy stocking cart they pulled from the back and a toy going off in the toy section.

mariat2
by Maria on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM
tiolet flushing in a public restroom
SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Crying babies or other crying children. He'll go up to them and shush them. lol

For a long time it was the automatic hand dryers in bathrooms. He was scared to use them, but over the last few months, he's WANTED to use them so I think it's helping his fear of them.

Toilets flushing in a public bathroom. If I'm in the bathroom with him, I warn him first that momma is going to flush the toilet so it doesn't catch him off guard. 

**It's funny how I'm reading some of the replies and most of our kids have the same sound sensitivities. lol

kajira
by Emma on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this

The dinging of the car door when people open the driver door with out turning the key off.

The wind rattling the house.

loud, high pitched squeaky noises... this includes women talking.

(these are my list.)

My son's is his sister's playful noises she makes, the sound of the dogs barking, and the wind.

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

Stephw1110
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:59 AM

The public toilets flushing are definately a problem. 

I can't decide if it's the carts crashing together or the blower on the carts when we walk into a store.

Alarms.  We once visited DH's grandma at a nursing center and one of the patients went out and set off the alarm.  The staff did't shut the alarm off for like 10 minutes.  He seemed very aggitated but when we went to go back a few months later (we don't live in the area), it took us over an hour to convince him to come in side.  He started screaming the moment we pulled in the parking lot and absolutely refused to go in the building. We finally were able to take him another door.  He still refuses to go in the back door where the alarm was going off. 

peaches_04
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Vacuums and hand dryers
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Crying, lullabys, soft music (makes him feel sad) 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:22 AM

A crying baby is the worst for Ashton. I don't know how we managed to survive having another baby but his handling so much better than I thought. Still doesn't like when other babies cry and sometimes even when Jackson cries he will ask me to make him stop :(

Quoting JTMOM422:

To be honest the only thing that sets him off is hearing another child crying. Especially a baby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)