Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How do you think that YOU or your child(ren) got Autism?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM
  • 40 Replies

just curious...........

do you have any idea's on how you got Autism?

or

how your child(ren) got Autism?

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM
2 moms liked this

In my case, I'm fairly sure it is genetic.  There are so many people with autistic traits in my family.  

Bluerose1482
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

There are autistic males on both my mother's and my father's side of my family.  I have no doubt that it is genetic. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Genetics. Could be influenced from toxins too. There are so many! I just heard today that swimming in a chlorine pool is bad for you. Unfortunately, I can't live in a bubble.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maciymommieof3
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:06 PM

no way. who can live in a bubble?

I am going to continue to live and love my life as I do right now.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM

After extensive bloodwork and hair samples were taking it is most likely genetics..not really a surprise since there are other males on my moms side of the family with it.

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe there is a genetic component but not one like in down's syndrome where the exact differences are clear.  I think it will turn out to be more along the lines of genes turned on/off incorrectly by environmental factors which we are more susceptible to because of our genetic predispositions.  I think the genes will mostly deal with our body's ability to detoxify and our immune functioning in general.  But I also think there is a strong component of GI issues and bacterial overgrowth.  I think that in the next few years we'll see gut bacterial imbalances get implicated in a lot of 'diseases' such as obesity, autism, and diabetes to name a few. 

As for how my children got autism I tend to think that for my daughter it was viral load getting completely out of hand from a combination of vaccines and cold viruses she couldn't clear as well as Hand, Foot, and Mouth which she's had 3 times at least.  For her every anti-viral treatment and immune system booster helps her a lot whereas dietary changes are nice but not necessary for her.  For my son I think it was the combination of antibiotics and his vaccines which just annihilated his immune system and gut and let every bad bacteria and parasite in the world move in and make a nice little home.  Every treatment that addresses his gut has helped him be it going GFCF, yeast medications, anti-parasite meds, anti-inflammatory supplements, and then all the immune boosters such as methyl-B12 and glutathione.  We'll be giving the Specific Carbohydrate Diet a try as well just to try to starve out the rest of the yeast and bacteria that are lingering and really give his intestines a chance to heal. 

SugarbearNHoney
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Genetics and extreme prematurity(environment). Our 'Special K' was a 23 weeker.

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Genetics. All of my kids fall on the spectrum. One is fully vaccinated, one got one round of shots, and one has gotten none. Same outcome. I do believe I'm an undiagnosed Aspie as is my dad, mom, and sister. We have too many people with traits in our family. My great aunts born in 1904 & 1906 were spinsters who were very strange & OCD like. They never left their house except for work. They didn't receive all of the vaccines and were not exposed to the same things my kids have been exposed to environmentally
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:44 AM

For my son, his brain damage is most likely what caused his Autism.  Per his neurologist...he has enlarged ventricles resulting in an overall lack of brain matter, scars all over his brain, and hypermyelination. 

girl_incognito
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:31 AM

For my son and myself it's genetic. We have a few family members diagnosed and quite a few in the family who could get a diagnosis if they sought it out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)