Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A mom again

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM
  • 5 Replies
Raising my grandsons. The 5 year old is autistic. I need help and any tips advise will be a god send.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
amberklo
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

see if there are any parenting classes for kids with autism.They helped me a lot.Not only with the parenting part but meeting other parents as well

MotoStar
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Try to find someone in your area that you can relate to. It really helps to have a "friend" that understands your joys, your frustrations and everything in between.

Domain of the M.O.M.K (rambling about kids, cooking and life)

KatyTylersMom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group.  Is your grandson already receiving services through the public schools?  He'll likely need an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) and if he doesn't already have one, that will likely mean requesting a full educational evaluation from the public schools to see how autism affects his ability to learn in school and what services or accommodations he needs in class.  This could mean a full special education placement or an aide in a regular ed class, or even just basic supports like extra time on tests or less homework. 

If he has behavioral issues I highly recommend working with an Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) provider who will not only help him gain skills such as self-care (getting dressed, washing hands, using the toilet, etc.) but can also help design and implement a behavioral modification plan for any behaviors he might have that are causing a lot of problems at home or at school.  In some states ABA is now required to be covered by most insurance plans by law, in others that's not the case so working with your insurance to determine if you can get that therapy covered is key. 

For my family we have two kids with a type of autism and we have done a lot of dietary changes starting with removing wheat and milk (gluten and casein) from the kids' diets entirely.  This was hard at first but has made a world of difference for my son who is my more severe child.  Working with a doctor who specializes in treating autism has also really helped, these are generally called a DAN! doctor or a MAPS doctor, many are not covered by insurance, but you can read more and even apply for grants to help with the costs on this site:  http://www.generationrescue.org/resources/find-a-physician/

Best of luck and if you have any questions or issues there will almost always be a great mom on here with some information that can help!

kajira
by Emma on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

ABA doesn't work for every child either - nor do traditional therapies or regular classroom environments.

My biggest suggestion is to learn as much as you can, then make educated decisions and trust your instincts and listen to his cues as well.

If he doesn't like the people he's working with, progress won't happen.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:45 AM

Welcome to the group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)