• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey everyone!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:33 AM
  • 8 Replies

HELLO ALL!!!  I am very new to this site, In fact I joined 20 minutes ago. 

I am here in this group because my 13 yo son was just diagnosed with Aspergers.  Although I have had success in figuring out how to "handle" him,  I am also looking for more support, ideas and information on this "disability"  i hate to use that word because I have tried to instill in my children that the word ABILITY is in there and they need to DISmiss the first 3 letters and make it happen!!! 

I know that keeping my son on a schedule, and more regimented seems to help.  Socially he is very awkard.  This is what we are currently working on.  social behaviors.  If anyone has ideas for me about helping with the social issues I am all eyes and ears!!! 

Hope to hear from some of you soon!!

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Hi there, welcome!

I'm hoping someone will have some advice for you, my 12 year old is also socially awkward.

Quoting anjyl:

HELLO ALL!!!  I am very new to this site, In fact I joined 20 minutes ago. 

I am here in this group because my 13 yo son was just diagnosed with Aspergers.  Although I have had success in figuring out how to "handle" him,  I am also looking for more support, ideas and information on this "disability"  i hate to use that word because I have tried to instill in my children that the word ABILITY is in there and they need to DISmiss the first 3 letters and make it happen!!! 

I know that keeping my son on a schedule, and more regimented seems to help.  Socially he is very awkard.  This is what we are currently working on.  social behaviors.  If anyone has ideas for me about helping with the social issues I am all eyes and ears!!! 

Hope to hear from some of you soon!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Welcome to the group!

lady_katie
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Hello, welcome to the group! I have Aspergers and I have found that the key to dealing with social awkwardness is to surround myself with people who like and accept me for who I am. 

I recently joined a group for women with Asperger's Syndrome, and that's been going well. I'm looking for a parents of autistic children group at the moment because autism is one of my "special interests" and they should be accepting (I would hope!!). 

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Welcome fellow mom of an aspergers boy (mine is 9.) I couldn't agree more with what you wrote. I think you are already on the right track. The social stuff is tough, we have a fantastic school psychologist that runs a social group for the kids with lots of role playing and my son loves it. She picks a scenario and then the kids act it out. Ex- Your friend falls off his bike and hurts his knee...bad, what do you do? What do you say? How can you help him?

Maybe they could start a group like that at your school our you could play it like a game at home. We do that some times. I give him a multiple choice question and make one of the answers really ridiculous to make it more fun. Ex- You see someone being bullied at school do you? A.) get a teacher B.) tell the bully to stop C.) tell the kid being bullied to come hang out with you D.) wet your pants 

You get the idea...again, welcome. Hope you can find the support you need here. I have.  XO

It really seems to be giving him some skills in situations where he was at a complete loss before. 

kajira
by Emma on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Hi there - I'm an autistic adult - My suggestion would be find him a group activity or a sports/music/video game/animal type activity with like-minded people. The key is give him a reason to want to be social and something in common to talk about.... the rest comes with practice.
thriftymom35
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Quoting lucasmadre:

Welcome fellow mom of an aspergers boy (mine is 9.) I couldn't agree more with what you wrote. I think you are already on the right track. The social stuff is tough, we have a fantastic school psychologist that runs a social group for the kids with lots of role playing and my son loves it. She picks a scenario and then the kids act it out. Ex- Your friend falls off his bike and hurts his knee...bad, what do you do? What do you say? How can you help him?

Maybe they could start a group like that at your school our you could play it like a game at home. We do that some times. I give him a multiple choice question and make one of the answers really ridiculous to make it more fun. Ex- You see someone being bullied at school do you? A.) get a teacher B.) tell the bully to stop C.) tell the kid being bullied to come hang out with you D.) wet your pants 

You get the idea...again, welcome. Hope you can find the support you need here. I have.  XO

It really seems to be giving him some skills in situations where he was at a complete loss before. 

anjyl
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome.  My son tries to be social,  he really loves being around people, I guess the biggest issue right now  (especially with the upcoming school year) is that he tries to buy his friends.  He will spend whatever he has from his allowance on soda pop or candy or whatever the other kids want just hoping that they will accept him.  To try and counter act that, this year we are not allowing him to take money to school with him.  We have tried to explain that a TRUE friend can not be bought. 

group hug

I absolutely LOVE the idea of acting out different social situations.  We ALWAYS play games of one type or another at our house.  I try not to let the kids watch too much T.V. or play Video Games too often.  all technology is on a time limit. So as a family we play board games,the boys LOVE the outdoors (unlike many of their peers) and they both LOVE to read.  So I think making up a game of social situations will be a lot of fun!  

Thanks for the ideas everyone!!!

oscarsmom70
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Welcome!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)