Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Moms that just dont GET it.

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 13 Replies

Im starting to seriously dislike other moms that just dont GET my boys.  Well, you dont undertand so let me explain their disabilities --- and they dont care.  It is so hard to have a job with other moms that talk about their kids all the time but I feel like I cant talk about mine because they have no clue, no concept of what its like.  These moms think I can just 'train' my kids like dogs!  Um, even if they werent autistic I wouldnt train them like dogs!  *vent over.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KatyTylersMom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM

And here is why I rarely, if ever, feel like I can have a conversation with parents of NT kids.  They don't get it and in some ways I think they actively try NOT to get it because it's too scary for them to think seriously about having a kid with special needs.  And then they feel awkward bragging about their kids because they can't possibly see how you might have just as much desire (and reason) to brag about your kids. 

SnowWhieQueen
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM

i know what u mean...it drives me nuts...and i hate when they try to compare my kids to each other...or i hear ur oldest to kids are so helpful ect.....then kind of drop off like to hell with my middle two boys...

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM

There are times when I feel I say the word autism and they cringe at the thought their child may catch it. Or that my child must be retarded. It makes me angry sometimes. Or that of course they think there is nothing wrong with my son he is just bad UGH

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Yep...totally agree!

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

And here is why I rarely, if ever, feel like I can have a conversation with parents of NT kids.  They don't get it and in some ways I think they actively try NOT to get it because it's too scary for them to think seriously about having a kid with special needs.  And then they feel awkward bragging about their kids because they can't possibly see how you might have just as much desire (and reason) to brag about your kids. 

EthansMomma2010
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I can't talk about my kid. Period. Everyone has an opinion and very few people even have a valid one. Nothing makes me want to swear more than people who don't even Wang to understand my child.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I understand

Cubanmom84
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Same reason I don't have any actual friends.... 

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I totally understand. 

Monkeymama930
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM
No one knew I had a kid at my old job.
johnns
by Johnna on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Well I'm a mother of 2 NT kids and a mommy to an ASD child. I talk about it at work. Before she was dx, I didn't really. People wondered if maybe I was in denial, but I just didn't see the need in announcing that I thought something was wrong. But after the dx, I came clean. As I would learn on the subject, I would share.
I work with young adults at work, I figured these kids need to know. With 1/88 , they will be faced with this, I hope not, but you know what I mean.
I wanted to set an example, because right before their eyes, my families life changed. The stages of wondering, to the dx, and what are we going to do about it. I share in Sallys sucess, her troubles, her cuteness. Its my way of awareness. They all look at Sally and don't see anything wrong. I didn't know anything about the subject till it hit our home.
I'm grateful for all 3 children, and thank God for the teenagers being NT, they are the BIGGEST help with their little sister, I don't know what I would do without them, without ANY of them.
I don't find it healthy to resent folks for having NT children, and if your ashamed thats a whole different ball of wax. If ladies you work with don't know, can't hold it against them. Its easy in our world to get upset with people who can't tell that our children aren't brats their having a meltdown.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN