• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you worry about your child's height?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 49 Replies

I am worried because my son is 11 and he's 5'5" tall now and weighs 180lbs. Is this okay for his age?

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
girl_incognito
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

That is very tall for his age.

My 15 yr old is tall for his age He is 5'9 and 138lbs

My NT son is 13 and is 5'3 and about 118 (within normal range)

my 11 yr old daughter is a bit heavier she is 5'1 and 113 lbs, she is about to hit puberty though

I wouldn't worry so much about numbers as I would health TBH. Look at how active he is, what he eats, and consider if he is going into puberty. The numbers get funky around puberty

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM

He's not hyper, he's hypo because of his vestibular. He started PT for the first time couple months ago and it does help him with his balance and everything. He's moving more. He prefers sedenteray activities and drawing a lot is not good for him. I got him the ball to sit on instead of the regular chair so he needs to balance while he's sitting.

He's diet is mostly fish, vegetables and meat. No canned goods or microwable food.  But, he's 180 lbs. A month ago he's 5'4" and wears Large shirt, now he's 5'5" and wears XL. We are pretty much on schedule, no food after 6pm. The dietician said, he eats healthy but can't keep that metabolism to work.

You are right. I think I just need to find out how to keep him physically active and eat healthy. Just can't stop worrying.

Quoting girl_incognito:

my 11 yr old daughter is a bit heavier she is 5'1 and 113 lbs, she is about to hit puberty though

I wouldn't worry so much about numbers as I would health TBH. Look at how active he is, what he eats, and consider if he is going into puberty. The numbers get funky around puberty

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

girl_incognito
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM

That's really good you are doing all those things to help him.

If you guys can ever get him more activie his metabolism will problem kick into gear.

So no thyroid problems, no diabetes? that's all good?

Quoting mommy4lyf:

He's not hyper, he's hypo because of his vestibular. He started PT for the first time couple months ago and it does help him with his balance and everything. He's moving more. He prefers sedenteray activities and drawing a lot is not good for him. I got him the ball to sit on instead of the regular chair so he needs to balance while he's sitting.

He's diet is mostly fish, vegetables and meat. No canned goods or microwable food.  But, he's 180 lbs. A month ago he's 5'4" and wears Large shirt, now he's 5'5" and wears XL. We are pretty much on schedule, no food after 6pm. The dietician said, he eats healthy but can't keep that metabolism to work.

You are right. I think I just need to find out how to keep him physically active and eat healthy. Just can't stop worrying.

Quoting girl_incognito:

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM

My older nephews who are both NT were short for years. Then at around 15 they shot up then they shot up again at 17. One is 5'11 the other is about 6 ft.

MrsImperfect
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM
My nephew is 5'3" and 180. He's very chunky but also very lazy at 12. My son who has asd is 12 almost 13 and also 5'3" and 120 lbs. But extremely active. So it seems he may be a tad overweight maybe. I would see what the doctor says. Although my son is 120 lbs he looks skinny.
Jenn8604
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM
So has been dxd with Hypothyroidism? He sounds like my sister w low body metabolism. she can eat good and still gain. But her thyroid meds helped her stop gaining and now she can work on losing.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Quoting girl_incognito:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM
My son is 44" and 41lbs 9 ozs at 5 w a BMI of 15.2.
My family tends to have tall skinny males.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM

We're so glad he doesn't have those. He doesn't drink soda or eat chocolates at all since he was little. He only drinks orange juice that I make from fresh oranges. 3 years ago, he was treated from the yeast overgrowth in his guts. The doctor told us that might slow his metabolism because his digestive system doesn't break down fats. We baked most of his food and avoid oil or butter unless they are made from coconut.

Quoting girl_incognito:

That's really good you are doing all those things to help him.

If you guys can ever get him more activie his metabolism will problem kick into gear.

So no thyroid problems, no diabetes? that's all good?

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Quoting girl_incognito:

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM

My son was skinny until 4 year old. I think it was the yeast overgrowth that mess it up.

Quoting Jenn8604:

Jenn8604
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM
It could be.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

My son was skinny until 4 year old. I think it was the yeast overgrowth that mess it up.

Quoting Jenn8604:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)