Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Carly's Voice

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:34 PM
  • 6 Replies

I just finished this book and would recommend it to anyone with a child with special needs. Not just ASD but any special needs. She shows that determination and a loving caring group of people assisting her that she can accomplish anything. Her knowlegde of autism is from her personal experience. She is autistic and explains things in a way that no doctor or psychologist could. She gives such great insight into the world of autism. She is funny, smart, and just like any other teenage girl. She has dreams for her future and isn't letting someone saying "you can't do it, your autistic" stand in her way.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TwilightMom815
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Carly is going to college in the fall, she's on Fb and Twitter. She's amazing
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I joined th fb one but not twitter yet. I heard she was going to school in the states. 

Quoting TwilightMom815:

Carly is going to college in the fall, she's on Fb and Twitter. She's amazing

KatyTylersMom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I loved this book!  The dual perspective coming from her dad who had pretty much lived through the worst a parent can handle, including his wife being diagnosed with cancer, and then from Carly herself explaining what is going on in her body really was eye opening.  For me it has been the reminder to always "presume competence" with my kids and never forget that they're there, listening and learning, even if they can't always demonstrate what they've learned. 

lady_katie
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Loved it! Not only because of what she taught me about my son, but what she taught me about myself (I have ASD also). Her dad also helped me to feel like it's OK to be human as a parent. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Thanks for sharing!

KatyTylersMom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Yes exactly!  I mean here is a family that had to use respite care, a residential facility, and round-the-clock therapists and STILL were burnt out beyond belief by the behaviors, self-harming, and never-ending escape attempts of their autistic daughter.  There was guilt, despair, and heartache at every turn for them and you have to imagine that when Carly first started typing those parents were terrified that she'd be angry with them or resentful of the things they had to do to keep the family together and functioning.  But instead they have this great spunky hilarious kid who understands why they had to do certain things and loves them as much if not more than any normal kid who hasn't been through half of what Carly has. 

Quoting lady_katie:

Loved it! Not only because of what she taught me about my son, but what she taught me about myself (I have ASD also). Her dad also helped me to feel like it's OK to be human as a parent. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)