Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Walking on toes / sides of feet

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 4 Replies
Does your child do this? If so, did they always do it? or did their walking pattern change and at some point became an element in their list of behaviors?

I ask because our son who is undergoing evaluation had begun doing this this month ( just turned three ). Normally, his big motor skills are exceptional and he doesn't seem to be doing it in a "fun" way. Since it doesn't seem tied to any pair of shoes or location, I am wondering should I mention it at next week's appointment.

Thanks for any example you might share!
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KatyTylersMom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My son (also just turned 3) likes to walk back on his heels just because he likes how it feels.  I'll see him doing it and staring down at his feet smiling.  He started doing this pretty much when he figured out that he COULD - his balance and gross motor have always been questionable so it took him until just the past 6 months to get to a point where he could mess around with "silly walks" and not fall down. 

I would absolutely mention every little detail about every little thing you feel is important in any way during your son's evaluation.  It can be a lot to remember so write them down or put the list on your smart phone so that you can reference it during the evaluation when all kinds of thoughts are running through your head and you can't keep anything quite straight! 

lady_katie
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I would mention it. It could be tied to a sensory issue. He might not like the way the floor (or socks or whatever) feels under his feet. I only toe walk when I'm barefoot, but I realized that it's because little particles of dirt and things stick to my feet and drive me absolutely crazy. I wear socks whenever I can. My son toe walks also and I noticed that he does it more when the floor is cold and he is barefoot. 

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Yes tip toeing is a sign of ASD. I would mention everything so there is no misdiagnosis either way. My ds did this and developmental pediatrician recommended hard sole shoes that were high in the ankle. Like hiking boots. My son would push himself off the floor using the top part of his foot or outside ankle. The boots helped a lot 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:18 PM

My son walks on his toes sometimes but not often.  Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)