Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eating sand...

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM
  • 9 Replies
DS just turned 3. We have no ASD diagnosis but he does have a speech and language delay and sensory processing issues. He keeps eating sand... We have tried many forms of discipline, firm Nos, pulling hand away, taking him or the sand box away, slight spanking... Nothing works.

So, any ideas how to get kiddo to not eat sand?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KatyTylersMom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Does he mouth/eat everything or just sand?  My son (now just turned 3) used to eat and mouth every little thing he could get his hands on.  Between 2 and 2.5 he just stopped (slowly, gradually) putting everything in his mouth and now it's a rarity to see him mouth a toy or eat something at the playground.  But when he was mouthing everything he certainly ate his fair share of sand and then some:)  We basically had to be on him non-stop at the playground when he was in the sand and just constantly saying "no eat sand" and pushing his hand away from his mouth.  I have an older daughter so eventually I'd just take him out of the sand and make him do something else so that I could play with both kids and not just keep one from eating the sandbox. 

JamesMom714
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM
He does mouth other things too, not just sand.
He seems to know he shouldn't as he will look at us then do the fake cry when told no.

Perhaps he will grow out of it in time...

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

Does he mouth/eat everything or just sand?  My son (now just turned 3) used to eat and mouth every little thing he could get his hands on.  Between 2 and 2.5 he just stopped (slowly, gradually) putting everything in his mouth and now it's a rarity to see him mouth a toy or eat something at the playground.  But when he was mouthing everything he certainly ate his fair share of sand and then some:)  We basically had to be on him non-stop at the playground when he was in the sand and just constantly saying "no eat sand" and pushing his hand away from his mouth.  I have an older daughter so eventually I'd just take him out of the sand and make him do something else so that I could play with both kids and not just keep one from eating the sandbox. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shugerbit
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM

my son is almost 3 and I hope he out grows this too!  His choice is paper, cardboard, toilet paper and qtips! If he doesn't like a food he will spit it out, so I don't get it. 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:54 PM
My son used to eat sand whenever we went to the beach...i had to constantly tell him NO SAND or we go home. He eventually stopped eating it. He was 4 & 5 when he was doing this. So you can imagine the looks & comments we got. It was frustrating but eventually he understood " no mouth"
SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM

DS used to put almost everything in his mouth too...up until the age of 3 1/2. Then he just stopped. 

I know it can be frustrating, but maybe it will just stop on its own. 

drowningmama
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Get rid of the sandbox. My son will eat handfuls of sand and he is 10. Last year when we went to the lake his poop turned into cement from all that sand. It was awful. If its a backyard sandbox - get rid of it. We had to.
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:14 PM

The best thing I found it to keep removing my son from the area. He did this too for a while. Not sure if he would still do this since we don't have a sandbox. But when we would go to parks and they had one I would just keep saying no and removing him. On the third time he lost the right to play in the sandbox totally.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:11 PM

These ladies have some good advice mama...hugs!

Stephw1110
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:48 AM

We had major issues with my son doing this last year (at 2) and I asked our OT about it and she said it's actually pretty normal for a 2 year old to do this with sand (not just an ASD thing).  She said obviously try to discourage the behavior but not to freak out about it.  Just watch for it and redirect if you see it and hopefully he will grow out of it.  Oh and this summer I have only seen my son do it once this summer and he did the terrible-why-did-I-try-to-eat-this face and hasn't done it again. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)