Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with ABA classes and opinion on this please

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hello looking for some opinions on ABA classes here in Houston Tx. I contacted Tangible differences and they are suggesting 25hrs per week for my daughter thats over $3000 per month and no way I can afford this..... saddened since I was hoping to be able to do this for her since I have heard alot of positive feedback on this. Was wondering if anyone new of a ABA class that offers assistance with this. I have tried looking on internet just dont want to go just anywhere. Anyway any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Is she getting any Special Education services (http://www.wrightslaw.com/) through the school district? It is free to do so, and all you need to do is request them in writing.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Have you looked at what your insurance will cover? Right now I'm fighting my insurance to find out exactly what they do and do not cover, but in Texas if you have a fully -funded insurance they are required by texas state law to pay for aba therapy.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM

http://www.autismspeaks.org/images/advocacy/Texas_FAQ.pdf

here's some info on texas insurance requirements

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

1) some insurance will cover ABA, call yours and see what's up.  If they are not helping you, get your HR department involved or post here and let us know what they're telling you - many of us are veterans at fighting insurance for ABA. 

2) 25 hours might be the right amount but depending on your child's age it might be too much.  My son just turned 3 and gets 10 hours a week (2 a day on weekdays) and he's DONE at the end of 2 hours and needs a break.  If your kid is going to school and stuff then 25 hours would be A LOT. 

3) In our early-intervention preschool there is a level of special ed which is JUST ABA.  The kids are there 5 hours a day and get 3 hours of ABA 1:1 instruction and then 2 hours of playskills with other kids.  This is entirely paid for by the school district so if your kid cannot handle any kind of preschool class environment and needs the 1:1 instruction then the school district can and will provide it. 

4) Again, depending on child's age (0-3 is more likely to get services) your state may cover ABA therapy through their own early-intervention programs.  Once a kid is over 3 years old most states make you go through the public schools. 

5) if you cannot go through insurance, the schools, or the state to get ABA funded TELL YOUR ABA PROVIDER.  Many will work out either a payment plan, sliding scale of fees for the hours, or help you find funding through grant programs.  THEY WANT your kid to get ABA and they'll often bend over backwards quite a bit to help you figure out how to swing it. 

barb1124
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Yes she has been in the HISD special education system for 3 yrs now and has one more year to go before her 6th bday. Just wwanted to try this hoping to help her as much as I could. Thank you
barb1124
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:17 PM
And she currently has medicaid due to her ssi/disability and they unfortunately are not paying for ABA services. Thank you for your responses I will see where this takes me.
emarin77
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Wow thats a lot of money. Did his or her psychologist that diagnosed your child suggest ABA therapy? 

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

"brent Woodall foundation"or "Woodall Kids" is based in TX.  They did an outreach program in IL in my town 2yrs ago which we attended for a yr.  They did ABA directly w/DS ASD and taught DH and I how to do ABA at home.  An INCREDIBLE organization!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I did private ABA for my son for 6 months. It was once a week, for two hours. I was in the room with my son at their clinic and I learned a lot. It cost me $130/week.

Then Gabe started an ABA-based preschool with the school district and their ABA is phenomenal, so I dropped the private ABA. But what I learned was very valueable.

I feel like its hard to do it w/ my own kid at my house b/c i have to get the house ready and myself ready and the material ready. When I take him, they have time to have it all planned out and laid out.

Hello? my house? Not laid out and planned out. LOL

And the materials are expensive. Its expensive no matter how you cut it :/

What does your local school district offer you?

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Also check with your states assistive and rehabilitation or aging and disabilities departments one of them may be able to help (especially if your child is younger than 9), the schools may be able to help, and check with your insurance they may cover part of the cost. BTW my son started with 20 hours/wk and is down to 25/mo. I went to texas.gov to get some of the info and they will be your best bet...also if she is severe enough get her (or attempt to anyways) ssi benefits started (My son gets 500 a month).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)