Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

ASD and Martial Arts (Karate)...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM
  • 5 Replies
My daughter is into her 2nd session. Did your ASD child get the hang of the moves or was it difficult for them? She has Aspergers and is low on the spectrum. She gives up easily and she is doing it with the Karate moves.
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
girl_incognito
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My son loves it. He is 15, he has a really hard time with coordinated moves, but is determined. It was something he REALLY wanted to do, so the drive has to be there.

I am on the spectrum and I have a hard time being taught things like this. It's frustrating because I have a really hard time with coordinated moves and I get confused very easily. My husband is trying to teach me, it takes A LOT of patience to teach me something. BUT I am also a self taught yogi (love yoga) and can do that just fine, less embarassment involved in self teaching

ANYHOW

I suggest seeing if you can get her some private lessons. that is what we did. We told the karate club that he had aspergers and they had an instructor take him aside and work with him one on one. We explained that it is important they are patient with him and not too critical.

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

It did take time for my son but the pride and respect he learns there is so wonderful. Give her a little more time if she isn't miserable and you feel her teachers are giving her proper support. Good luck, it can be a great thing for kids like ours (9 yr old son with aspergers.)

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I am thinking of signing Ashton up for it but just not sure..

NatureMomof3
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:04 AM
My son is seven and loves it! He is a blue belt in Tae Kwan Do. His last belt cycle was a big challenge for his balance but he worked hard. It has really helped his physical strength. He has a great memory and gets a lot of praise for knowing his forms etc. and the teachers understand that he knows what he is supposed to do and that his reactions are slower than other kids. The teachers really made the difference for him -- they really care about him and want to help.
Bluerose1482
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My son (aspie) and daughter (nt) attended classes for a little while.  They both ended up hating it because the teacher was, well, I'm sure he's a great teacher when he actually teaches someone.  He held open classes (so all students could attend all classes).  It was super easy, because classes were twice per day, Mon-Thurs.  However, all ages and skill levels were mixed.  He provided NO one-on-one teaching to white belts.  They had to attend enough and pick-up enough to pass their first belt test by watching, then he worked with the higher belts.  It wasn't uncommon for a child to spend 1-2 years attending classes before they could pass the first belt test.  My son was very frustrated and is still frustrated when he thinks about it.  When he starts to feel better about it, I've already spoken with another place about providing small group instruction.  They seperate by age, gender and skill level.  The classes are more expensive, but they limit them to 4 per session for the white belts (which means you are giving a specific day and time to be there, but then get much more *hands on* teaching). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)