Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Job Searching While on the Spectrum

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 2 Replies

I am getting a good laugh right now. I am 43 years old, and I was accurately diagnosed as an adult back in 1997. It was well past most services for young adults with a disability on most of them. There is the Office or Department of Vocational Rehabilitation in each state, but I know of two people who have had some really horrible experiences with them. For the mild or high functioning like myself, very few organizations will work with us trust me who are nonprofits because we do not meet the IQ criteria. I recommend on the application if you fit under it or your adult child to mention IRS Form 5884. I know that I struck a nerve because of an article in the newspaper about an organization with its success. I live in a county with a high population of Tea Party members.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Asperger Syndrome Writer
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Hugs mama!

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I think it is a hard time to find a job for so many people so I can imagine it is even harder if you are on the spectrum. Sounds like you have plenty of self confidence and that is very helpful. Good luck in your search. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN