Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Success!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM
  • 9 Replies

Today was a good day. My son really improved. Last night he went to bed at 8:30pm and actually woke up atm 6am! He normally wakes up  around 4:30am! HOORAY! We also went to Walmart without any incident and he helped me carry in the bags. We went back to the pool since it was 93 here today and I told him over and over NO HUGGING! He listened last time but not today. The one improvement this time is he  did not prolong the hug and was very gentle too. HOORAY praise the LORD! We also wen to our favorite thrift store since he is a VHS junkie. He ran into the back room like he was playing hide and seek. I got him out and apologized to the staff. Have any of your kids ever run into a stock room? Not sure how to discourage that our even stop that behavior. Does anyone have any ideas? Despite the few flaws the day was pretty good. PROGRESS! Hooray 

by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
HippoCat
by Hadley on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I'm glad you had such a great day! My son is a "bolter." The best way that I have found to deal with it so far is to tell him ahead of time that he has to stay in a certain area and then if he leaves the area I bring him back where I want him and try to block the exit with my body. I hold his arm and try to get him to look at me and then I say that this area/ room/whatever is closed. I do the same thing each time he tries to leave. I can't tell you how much I do this during the coarse of some days, but he is getting much better and responds to me faster now. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 28, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Glad things are improving and you guys had a good day!

johnns
by Johnna on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Its funny how the little things make such a big difference! Happy for you. Yes, Sally likes to go behind the counters- I'm pretty sure she likes to go places we tell her NOT to go! Lol
Caught her one time in the glass windows trying to undress the manicans! Nice. My teen boys were mortified! Hahaha
What are you gonna do, right?!? Lol
Macphee
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Awesome spencemom.
Love days like that
specmom2
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Oh that made me laugh! So I am not the only one who has a child that does embarrassing things! Mine ran out of a store with a video in his hand and the alarm went off and security was chasing him and i was running too then I saw in the corner of my eye another person. We finally stopped him right outside of JC Penny and before the guy tried to put cuffs on my son, I stopped him and said he is autistic and the other fellow after catching his breath, said I paid for that video for you. I thanked him profusely and  I walked my son through the store out to the parking lot where one of those golf cart type maintenance trucks were parked. Someone left  the key inside it and my son took it for a brief joy ride lol. When the maintenance man caught up with us I apologized and he had to drive us to our car since my son refused to get out. What a day that was! LOL I will never forget that day! i can only laugh about it now. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 28, 2013 at 4:11 PM

It realy sounds like a good day!

D has never run into a stock room but it can definitely be trying when I'm ashopping sometimes.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Yay for good day!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Glad that you had such a great day. my son is a runner also. We are working on STOP and him responding. But to be fair to your son I have seen NT kids run into places in stores they shouldn't have been in. I just get my son and tell him no. If he runs off again it means he goes in the cart or has to hold hands.

Monkeymama930
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM
:-) congrats!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)