Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Desensitizing auditory issue?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:55 PM
  • 9 Replies
My 5 year old son hates the sound of crying. He will be aggressive against the person who is crying in an attempt to get them to stop crying. Obviously this doesn't work. I got this crazy idea that if I made him listen to the sound of a child crying regularly would this desentitze him to be able to tolerate the sound. Is this a crazy idea or could it work and help?
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Sounds like that could work in an ABA therapy kind of way. Play a recording of a baby crying, when he behaves appropriately give him a reward that's worth it to him to behave. If he's verbal enough, I would try to get him to express how he feels and ask to leave whatever situation is causing the crying. My daughter can't handle babies crying either so when we are somewhere that there is a baby, if the baby cries we go outside, or to the other side of the store. And if you're in a place you can't leave right away you could try having him wear sound-blocking headphones.

Trabrooke
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:02 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter has a terrible time with noise  she gets aggressive as well  it sounds strange but we say shoo noise  with hand movements  and that seems to calm her any noise can set Brooke off   Hope this helps

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this

That doesn't sound right at all my son uses headphones to block the noise. Why would you make him listen to it more? 

girl_incognito
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I am an autistic person, and this sounds cruel to me

I have been exposed to noises that I can not stand and it only made things worse. Since I was just recently diagnosed I was exposed to a lot of things people though I could just get use to or get over. It never helped.

Can you imagine an ice pick being jabbed into your ear and going through your brain? that's how sensitivity to noise feels to me.

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM
We tried to avoid the sounds that bothers him. Now he can tolerate some of it.
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM

For me personally this is something I would talk to his doctor with first or his ABA. If they thought it was appropriate I may try it. If they thought it wasn't I wouldn't do it.

Bobsie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I won't do it. It was a crazy idea but I will look at other options.
Jenalide
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I would try to work it into a play setting.  My son HATES lawn mowers, that is top on his list, but has a lot of sounds he dislikes.  These are things that I can't always avoid.  Pretty sure my neighbors are going to mow their lawns no matter what, and we are not leaving the house each time it happens. (He hates it even if we are inside, and he can hear the buzz of one around our house.)  I have just worked with him during play times, and modeled what to say and do.  He is a repeater, so often times, he will take on other words and actions...  When we are playing puppets, I will have one puppet do something that bothers him, and I will have another puppet verbalize what is wrong.  This has helped him to have more appropriate responses to situations he doesn't like.  I would work to help him cope, because that is something he will not be able to aviod.    Good luck! 

girl_incognito
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:27 AM

I would just get him some headphones, teach him how to use them. Tell him to hum while they are on his ears and the baby is crying.

As he grows a lot of these things he may adjust to in his own time. My sister was far more sensitive to loud noises than I was and she has adjusted as she has aged, naturally.

The thing with the baby crying is two fold... it's something unexpected that he can't control... and the shrillness hurts his ears.

Quoting Bobsie:

I won't do it. It was a crazy idea but I will look at other options.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)