Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Question about vaccinations & NT siblings?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 18 Replies

My daughter is 6 years old & was diagnosed w/ ASD when she was 2.5.  Her brother is 3.5 & is NT.  I have delayed him from receiving the MMR vaccine, b/c I am extremely paranoid.  I know that he will need this shot before he starts preschool next year, but I am dreading it.  I am also aware that the consequences of him getting measles, mumps or rubella by not getting the shot is dangerous...and that's why I'm on the fence & need your opinion!

Do any of you have a child who got the shot around 4 yrs old that suddenly regressed after receiving it?  He hasn't shown any signs of ASD, but like I said, I am just paranoid.

Thanks for your input! : )

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourdoingwhat
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Don't know if this will help you, I have 4 children. (all boys if that matters)  My oldest 3 were about right on time for their shots and they are all NT.  My 4 y/o had NO shots until a bit after 2 1/2 and he was dx'd at 2 yrs with autism.

KyLo
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Thanks!  I still don't even know if I believe that the MMR vaccine causes autism, but my daughter received the vaccine at 12 months, & by 15-18 months, we started noticing delays.  It could just be a coincidence...

Quoting yourdoingwhat:

Don't know if this will help you, I have 4 children. (all boys if that matters)  My oldest 3 were about right on time for their shots and they are all NT.  My 4 y/o had NO shots until a bit after 2 1/2 and he was dx'd at 2 yrs with autism.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I've gone from giving my kids NO vaccines to just selecting which ones I want to give as well as delaying them and spreading them out. When my 3 year old got his MMR (right before he turned 3) I watched them give him the shot and then it was like I was expecting him to suddenly start having a seizure or something...but nothing happend. And he was FINE. 

I would not be concerned with a NT 4 year old regressing from getting one shot. Has he had other shots? Has he had any reactions to them? If he's had others and acted fine, I woudn't dread the MMR at age 4. He can tell you if something feels funny or if he gets sick. 

thriftymom35
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:48 PM
I am on the fence too, I have an 8 yr old with autism, and my daughter is not exactly NT but not dx'd.......and I am having another boy in two days so I am in the same boat......we are leaning towards sloping the MMR, in our state it is allowed to not vaccinate for public school. You can say it's against your religious beliefs (I heard). This isn't set in stone yet but we are leaning that way. Hope I don't get a lot of flack from this reply........but sadly I expect to.
thriftymom35
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Skipping
KyLo
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:12 AM

No flack from me, Mama!  You are doing what is best for your child, just like any good parent would do.  : )

Quoting thriftymom35:

I am on the fence too, I have an 8 yr old with autism, and my daughter is not exactly NT but not dx'd.......and I am having another boy in two days so I am in the same boat......we are leaning towards sloping the MMR, in our state it is allowed to not vaccinate for public school. You can say it's against your religious beliefs (I heard). This isn't set in stone yet but we are leaning that way. Hope I don't get a lot of flack from this reply........but sadly I expect to.

KyLo
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Thanks for the advice!  He's up-to-date on all other shots & has never had a reaction, so it's just a matter of if/when I feel comfortable with him getting the MMR shot. : )

Quoting mypbandj:

I've gone from giving my kids NO vaccines to just selecting which ones I want to give as well as delaying them and spreading them out. When my 3 year old got his MMR (right before he turned 3) I watched them give him the shot and then it was like I was expecting him to suddenly start having a seizure or something...but nothing happend. And he was FINE. 

I would not be concerned with a NT 4 year old regressing from getting one shot. Has he had other shots? Has he had any reactions to them? If he's had others and acted fine, I woudn't dread the MMR at age 4. He can tell you if something feels funny or if he gets sick. 

Mom2Seb
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:38 PM

My 6yo son had all his shots, none delayed, and he was diagnosed PDD-NOS and a couple others at 5.  My 4yo daughter had her shots eliminated after 15 months due to reoccuring febrile seizures from 10 months to 18 months, one of her seizures we know was due to DTaP.  After that and my sons diagnosis we choose to NOT give her any MMR shots.  Her pediatrician gave us a waiver to give their school showing that we will not give her all the listed vaccines school requrie.  I live in Washington state and that form gets us out of having to prove shots. 

kjlmommy
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm on the fence about the MMR vaccine for my baby when he's the right age, because it is so difficult to know who to believe.  The story that is going around now about the courts saying that the vaccine causes it has not come from any credible news source, but what is a credible news source anymore?  My oldest child (NT) and my middle child (ASD) both had the vaccinations, and my middle one was even delayed on it a bit.  We didn't notice any immediate regression, and I think he was always a bit different, but I'm not really sure.  So I'm debating because I know that there can be serious complications from not vax'ing and apparently serious complications if you do.  I'm no help, I realize, but I empathize.

N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Not sure if this will help you. My 1st born jacob. We should of known sooner that he had autism. He would not eat at 1st. He could not do anything on his own. We had to teach him everything. But we always got him his shots when he needed them. We had another boy. He has got all of his shots on time. And he is a handfull. He did have a speech delay but now he just loves talking. Jacob is 5 years old and chase is 2 years old. And im pregnant. With this baby we will just do stuff the same. Get shots when baby needs them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN