Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I guess my son is a spinner!! LOL

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am literally laughing so hard right now I have tears coming out of my eyes.  I think my ASD 4 year old sonjust discovered spinning.  He's always had his little quirks but spinning was never one of them.  Well, about half an hour ago he just started spinning, wobbling, falling, getting back up, and spinning some more.  That has been non-stop.  His eyes have that look like he is looking periferally out the side of his eyes while doing it (does that all the time lining up his cars.)  He's laughing and giggling.  One of his sisters started out going 'what is he doing' but now is spinning herself thinking it is something fun to do, and she is my balance coordination problem child so can not stay on her feet for anything.  Autism may not be contagious, but I guess spinning isto a room of 4 year olds!  And then for the poor little sister it is like walking through a land mine of spinning siblings.  She has downs and can't hear them coming and is so floppy/stumbly walking around in a perfect environment.  She is just getting bumped and knocked down over and over.  By the time she gets up, someone else is running into her.  I seriously may need to get out the video recorder as this is just hilarious.  For all of you with spinners though, seriously how do you keep them safe, and how long does this go on?  I would think he'd be tired by now.

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourdoingwhat
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM

LMAO welcome to the world of spinning momma. 4 y/o is a spinner, and I think the brain accepts and acknowledges the fact that they have a need to spin sometimes and compensates for it.  Allowng them to do it forever and hardly ever get dizzy! Me, I spin with him and after the 3rd or 4th rotation I'm dizzy and can't walk right :) As for the safety thing..... he does it in our livngroom and I swear it's his autism that helps him! He never spins into anything, he stays in one spot. Early on he fell into the recliner but that was it. (he was fine, got right back up and did it some more) He has lasted 47 minutes already, we timed it lol.

JennaPBug
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:46 PM

My ds went through a spinning phase a couple months ago. He's got horrible coordination and would spin into furniture all the time. What helped him a bunch was when he'd have something to circle around, like a ball in the middle of the floor.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Macphee
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Spotting is key. Put something in the middle he will look at. My kid tried spinning, but he kept tripping over the dog. I love the group solidarity.
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM

my son never really spun in circles. He would run in circles. the circles would go from big to small and then big again. He loves to run around the coffee table.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Sounds like they're having fun.  My brother and I used to spin all the time at that age, til we'd get dizzy and nauseas.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I was a spinner as a kid and it landed me in the ER with a concussion! Put some pillows on the floor or something, because spinning isn't as harmless as it seems =/ 

jowen905
by Jan on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

It sounds like you're talking about my son!  He's 12 now and I haven't seen him spin for probably a couple of years, but he used to love it and he, too, would look out of the corner of his eye.

He used to line up his hot wheels and do the same thing with his eyes.

He just stopped spinning on his own, but it seems that he always has some repetitive quirky thing (as do I!).   Now he occasionally tosses 2 stuffed animals in the air over and over and pictures the Wipeout show in his head as he's doing that. 

Now that he's older, he's aware of his little quirks and can self-regulate pretty well (for example, he knows that tossing things in school would be inappropriate!).  I've just learned that he needs to do those things because it feels "good" to him.  He knows that he can do certain things at home, but not in the "outside world".

Oh and we bought him a trampoline a couple of years ago - he loves it!  Not only great exercise but I think he really feels a physical release that makes him less antsy.  It's also great since he's on the shy side, because other kids from the neighborhood like to jump and he really enjoys the company. (But of course we have to worry about bumping heads, etc.!)

Does he like to swing?  My son used to swing all of the time when he was 4 and 5.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Yes, big swinger, slider, liner upper, sprinkler, and throws everything in the air to watch it come down! LOL  I love watching him, it is so fun to see how his mind works.

Quoting jowen905:

It sounds like you're talking about my son!  He's 12 now and I haven't seen him spin for probably a couple of years, but he used to love it and he, too, would look out of the corner of his eye.

He used to line up his hot wheels and do the same thing with his eyes.

He just stopped spinning on his own, but it seems that he always has some repetitive quirky thing (as do I!).   Now he occasionally tosses 2 stuffed animals in the air over and over and pictures the Wipeout show in his head as he's doing that. 

Now that he's older, he's aware of his little quirks and can self-regulate pretty well (for example, he knows that tossing things in school would be inappropriate!).  I've just learned that he needs to do those things because it feels "good" to him.  He knows that he can do certain things at home, but not in the "outside world".

Oh and we bought him a trampoline a couple of years ago - he loves it!  Not only great exercise but I think he really feels a physical release that makes him less antsy.  It's also great since he's on the shy side, because other kids from the neighborhood like to jump and he really enjoys the company. (But of course we have to worry about bumping heads, etc.!)

Does he like to swing?  My son used to swing all of the time when he was 4 and 5.

drowningmama
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM
My son spins - he spins left and holds his eyes towards the upper right corners. No clue how he does it. I cant watch him or I will get serious motion sick.
Jnc91
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM

We put a tire swimg up:) in public ds will spin if uncomfortable 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN