Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Alternative to B12 Injections

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM
  • 7 Replies

My sons DAN! doctor put him on B12 shots but he is so freaked out by it that it does not matter how much numbing cream we have, he can't tolerate the injection, and quit frankly I can stand putting him through it.  Waiting until he is asleep does not work.  Taking him in every 3 days is not an option as the doctor is too far.

Any alternatives to injecting the B12?

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KatyTylersMom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:07 AM

1) ditch the numbing cream, half the time it freaks them out more b/c it's cold and signals HEY THIS SHOT IS A BIG FREAKING DEAL!!!

2) How big is the shot?  Our kids get tiny tiny little needles like people use for insulin, no more than 1cm long and hair-thin.  It should just be a sub-cutaneous injection so just under the skin, if they're giving you intramuscular needles (1 inch long and thicker) send that shit back and ask for the tiny sub-Cutaneous needles. 

For my kids we just strip their butts bare, count to three and BAM in it goes.  Our daughter is quite dramatic and when we first started a year ago she'd go around crying and rubbing the OTHER butt cheek lol.  My son has never cared about the shot, always looks vaguely surprised like "OW oh hey meh whatever CAR TRAIN..." and off he goes. 

So if your kid is upset that's normal - it's a shot, it stings a little.  I'd recommend doing it at the same time every day - for us that's right before bath (a preferred activity to be sure) so they know that right after shot they get to go in the tub and play with toys.  You can use reward charts if your kid is old enough to like that kind of thing - get the shot get a sticker on the chart, 5 stickers = toy at the grocery store or something. 

There are B12 patches, no idea how well they work but as with the oral supplements and under-the-tongue drops, it's not going to get as much into his system as a shot.  Plus your methyl-B12 shot SHOULD have some other things in it like folinic acid which is nearly always deficient in our kids so if that's not on the label somewhere you might want a different prescription which includes it. 

Mom2Seb
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Thank you!  We will try AGAIN tomorrow.  

KatyTylersMom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:05 AM

:) It's tough knowing that it's a shot and it hurts.  I can only tell you that my daughter complains more about taking her oral meds and supplements than her shot these days (she's 4.5 and my son is 3).  We basically have the kids between our knees as we sit on the toilet next to the tub, squeeze our knees together to kind of pin them in there a bit and hold the legs, then one arm across the back to keep them from headbutting us, and a very quick jab and it's done.  My daughter now holds still by herself, my son will wiggle a bit but like I said, he's over it so quickly he doesn't put up much of a fuss.  But mostly it just takes your kid getting used to it.  If you have a stubborn one like my daughter it can take a while:)

Quoting Mom2Seb:

Thank you!  We will try AGAIN tomorrow.  

JakesMommy527
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:45 AM

I've seen creams and nasal sprays but haven't used them so not sure how well they work. 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM

How about just the dissolving tablets that taste like cherries?

Mom2Seb
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:51 PM

We did it!  I tried the numbing cream on one spot for 35 minutes and then showed him on a napkin what I was going to do.  I then told him to count and I would be done before he got to 2... and it worked!

KatyTylersMom
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:46 AM

That's great:) I think half the time they just need to see what's going on.  My kids can see each other's butts get a shot so that helps:)

Quoting Mom2Seb:

We did it!  I tried the numbing cream on one spot for 35 minutes and then showed him on a napkin what I was going to do.  I then told him to count and I would be done before he got to 2... and it worked!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN