Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Diagnosis: Hurts or Helps?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Jen
  • 24 Replies
Do you feel like an official Dx of ASD is more helpful or hurtful to a child? Why?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Befor we knew Jacob had autism. He got speech 1 day a week. We did not have anyone at 1st point out that why he stopped talking. Find out he has autism. I was told by family well that better cause he will get all of this therapy now. Took him to therapy and told her he has autism. She did not say anything about not seeing him ever again. Called later to set up next week and they say no more therapy. I had run around cause they said medicaid wont pay. I called a lawyer and talked to a lady. She said if true medicaid needs to send me a letter. Talk to medicaid. he can get therapy still. Called therapy back. He was not talking so no more.Get on waiting list that is 45 minute drive. Then by time we get in its fall. She saw him a few times. But then winter. She did want his school to try a speech device.Got that on loan. The speech lady gave up after 1 day. She said it was too hard for him.We found out the next day cause had our iep meeting. We ask how it went and she said she sent it back after 1 day. He still got very little speech at school. The place out of town to long of waiting list.And she says school could help alot. So we gave up on other people helping him. I been working with my boys everyday. I think his little brother helping him learn to talk. Cause jacob is talking more. Even in summer school and he told his kindergarden teacher his colors. 

StarLight23
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I think it helps. With my son's autism diagnosis we were able to get him into speech therapy that our public school pays for, any Occupational therapy he needs, and it actually gives us a way to explain the challenges he has as well as how sweet he is. Yes some people may not like to label their children autistic, or child with autism as the case may be. In the school environment, a diagnosis helps you get services for your child.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Definitly helps...with diagnosis my son recieves therapies & ssi.
kajira
by Emma on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally feel being diagnosed is a huge help - even if you dont' go through extensive and expensive therapies. Just knowing is helpful, you can change things in your life to accomodate quirks and work around them rather than trying to force your way being normal when you can't be.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I think it helps. My son was able to qualify for aba services and he got into special education preschool with his dx. With the ABA alone I have seen major improvements in my son.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I think it helps.  I agree with all that has been posted ...it opens doors for interventions.  But most important I have a better understanding of why my son does what he does.  I can quit blaming and shaming and move on with supporting him and meeting him "where he's at"...

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:51 PM

It allows the child to attain services he needs that he wouldn't able to without the diagnosis.  That is the reason for diagnosis, not to hurt a child.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this

A lot of people say that the diagnosis is only important because it brings services, but I disagree. I think that there is a huge value in knowing that you are not the only one experiencing life in this way. My life was extremely confusing and difficult before being diagnosed, and I remember that I frequently described it as "being alone in a crowded room", and I didn't know why I felt that way. I thought that I was the only one, and I thought that I either did it to myself, or that I was somehow damaged. Being diagnosed has opened up the door to finding people that I can relate to and understand for the first time in my life. I'm able to give up on trying to be like everyone else, and concentrate my efforts on finding people who I'm already like - now that I know where to look. 

Telephus44
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Definitely helps.  In addition to all of the services that it opens doors for, it also lets me into a community of some awesome people and some great resources that have allowed me to become a better parent, since I can understand better what makes my son do what he does sometimes.

Michelsm1331
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I personally don't feel like it hurts my child personally. I know he doesn't understand right now. But it is helpful to me. I was devastated when I heard the news 3 years ago, but without it I think he would have been worse off. Knowing what I know now (which isn't a lot) the diagnosis helps me to move on and do anything and everything in my power to help educate him and people around him. 

Im sad that I don't know what his future will hold and I worry his little sister will one day take a large role in his adult life but I try not to dwell on it too much. We work hard as parents to provide for our kids and without a diagnosis how can we do more?  I'm not embarrassed anymore. I've grown to accept my son as he is and love him more everyday. He is my first born and only son I enjoy every moment especially all his quirks. So I feel it's helpful fr my son and especially me to know 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)