Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Will your autistic child live at home as an adult?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Amy
  • 37 Replies

I was just reading an article on yahoo news and it had this quote.... 

"Approximately 80 percent of adults with autism up to 30 years old live at home for one reason - there is not enough affordable housing available, both the physical space and the appropriate supports," Lisa Goring, vice president of family services at Autism Speaks, said. 

Do you think this is true?  Do you think your child will live at home with you as an adult?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
t1gger143
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
No he won't be. He would be happy to move out at 6. He is very high functioning academically. I can see him being like my aunt. Having his own little place the way he wants it.
amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I think my son might live at home longer than the other kids, but I don't think he'll have any problems living on his own when he's older.  He's pretty high functioning right now.

tinkerspell
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM

there is a slight chance but we dont know what the future holds for us 

StarLight23
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:45 PM
In all likelihood probably not. He is very high functioning and I am so proud of him. He is wanting to learn and grow and I think he will do a fantastic job living on his own (with my input and advice of course).
kjlmommy
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

He probably won't need to, but if he does, he is more than welcome.  

kajira
by Emma on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:59 PM
3 moms liked this

I didn't. My brother didn't.

Most of my autistic friends didn't.

It depends on severity I suppose.

My cousin didn't move out until she was 27 and she was NT.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally know about 8 or 9 adults on the spectrum, myself included, and only one of us had any trouble moving out before 30. I think that Autism Speaks is focusing on the lower functioning group, and that they really should specify that because they are misrepresenting the autism community as a whole. 

MotoStar
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I doubt it. He is already planning out his future and family, LOL!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I hope not as I want him to be as independent and functional as possible, but I'm planning for it never the less.  He is not high functioning now, developmentally he is a 2-3 year old child who will actually turn 5 mext month.  We have a long road ahead, and I don't see that ending at the typical 18 years or so of age, 30?  Maybe?  40?  I hope?  I guess my goal is that by the time I am no longer here to take care of him that he is able to be on his own or settled somewhere comfortable, whether that be with a sibling or living facility.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes I believe this is true. My ds will live with us for as long as needed. We will even go so far as buying or building him a small home for himself. I would love to have some property and build a house for us and one for him so he has his independence. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN