Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Buying a new mattress for an ASD child

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello everyone,

It's a big milestone for my dd today, as we're moving her out of the toddler bed into a twin bed.  We need to buy a new mattress, and I wanted your opinion:  What are the best mattresses for ASD children?  Do you think a more plush mattress or a memory foam is good for better sleep, causing fewer meltdowns and sensory overloads during the day?

TIA.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lady_katie
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I think that it would be different for every child. Maybe bring her with you to test a few different kinds out? If you really aren't sure, maybe buy something that's an "in between" middle of the road softness, and if that doesn't work out you could always experiment with mattress toppers. 

KnittingMomC
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Thanks.  We ended up getting her a plush mattress, and had her pick it out.  Now on to bedding! 

drowningmama
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Depends on the child. My son loves rock hard laying surfaces. They used to sell grounding mattresses which felt like the floor. They dont make those anymore. He would have loved that!
mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I think it just depends on the kid. I have my own sensory issues although I'm not asd and I remember my grandparents buying me a foam mattress when I was about 12. They bought most of my stuff for me because my mom was young and single and didn't have any money. 

Anyways, I told them at the store I hated it. It was too soft. They didn't care and just got it anyway. Probably because it was the cheapest thing in the store. Well, I serioulsy HATED that mattress and sometimes ended up sleeping on the floor. It sunk in the middle and I couldn't stand it. I remember thinking that I wished people would listen to me when I told them I didn't like it. 

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Glad to hear you ended up letting her pick the bed out. Bet she loved being in charge of the choice. 

Quoting KnittingMomC:

Thanks.  We ended up getting her a plush mattress, and had her pick it out.  Now on to bedding! 

KnittingMomC
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:01 AM

She did, and had a wonderful night's sleep last night!  :)  Thanks! 

mommyto3121405
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

my son has a pillow top and sleeps 10 times better on that than a inner spring

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)