Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

In shock

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM
  • 11 Replies
I'm in shock. The eeg my son had done on Monday is normal... He even spaced out during the test so long the tech asked if he was okay (in which he didn't respond). Apparently it's normal to suddenly stop what you are doing (like walking or talking) and "check out". If he didn't have an event there I would think false negative but I guess its accurate. I'm happy he's ok but how am I supposed to explain his behavior to teachers? 
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
drowningmama
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:00 PM

My 10 year old just stops and spaces out.  I cant reach him - no one can.  Theres nothing wrong with him either.  Hes just doing his own thing.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I am so glad to hear that his test came back fine 

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I am an epileptic, did he have an eeg after sleep deprivation? They are often more conclusive.The tests are not always completely accurate. I am not saying he is having seizures but it is still possible something is going on that is very much like a seizure or what they call a partial. Feel free to ask me anything else if I can help in any way. I can tell you that the most important thing for an epileptic is to eat regularly, sleep regularly and keep your stress levels down. 

Do you think it is possible he is just checking out to be alone with his own thoughts?

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:11 PM

That is good it came back normal but if you are having doubts, there is no harm in trying to get a 2nd opinion. Doctors can make mistakes. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Me too

Quoting JTMOM422:

I am so glad to hear that his test came back fine 

Jnc91
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Quoting lucasmadre:

I am an epileptic, did he have an eeg after sleep deprivation? They are often more conclusive.The tests are not always completely accurate. I am not saying he is having seizures but it is still possible something is going on that is very much like a seizure or what they call a partial. Feel free to ask me anything else if I can help in any way. I can tell you that the most important thing for an epileptic is to eat regularly, sleep regularly and keep your stress levels down. 

Do you think it is possible he is just checking out to be alone with his own thoughts?

Epilepsy runs in our family. My sister has absence seizures that continued to adulthood. My son has the same symptoms. He zoned out while hooked up so it should have catched it if it was a seizure. I plan on calling and asking if the report said anything besides "normal". The reason I thought seizure vs spacing out is he won't respond, he can be in the middle of talking or walking and it happens, and his eye lids flutter sometimes when he spaces. His therapist is surprised they weren't seizures too. Shes seen how out of it he is during an episode.
Jnc91
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Quoting lucasmadre:

It was sleep deprived. He fell asleep there and compete the tasks after waking up
lucasmadre
by Kari on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:42 AM

That is great because it is a much more accurate test. Then I would not worry about seizures anymore and just assume that he is "taking a break" from the overwhelming world around him. I wonder if he had a "quiet time" place he could go at home if that might help. It could be a stage of development too, he may outgrown it. I know with my son often I get worried about something he is doing or not doing and by the time I think I have it figured out he moves on from it on his own!

Scary stuff though, I am so glad it isn't seizures. Not because they are the worst thing in the world but it would just be another complication in an otherwise busy world (for you.) 

Stay in touch and good luck, hope things work themselves out. 

Quoting Jnc91:

Quoting lucasmadre:

It was sleep deprived. He fell asleep there and compete the tasks after waking up

lucasmadre
by Kari on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Gosh, that does sound like sezures doesn't it? Wonder why nothing showed up? Especially because it runs in your family...I wonder if sometimes it doesn't show up and you can still be having seizures. I remember a tech saying to me once that these tests aren't foolproof. I read your second reply first, sorry! I feel for you, you must be frustrated and worried. Has he had an MRI yet? Not that you want to put him through that if you don't have to...they usually sedate kids I think...shoot. I wish I could help.  XO thinking of you-

Quoting Jnc91:

Quoting lucasmadre:

Epilepsy runs in our family. My sister has absence seizures that continued to adulthood. My son has the same symptoms. He zoned out while hooked up so it should have catched it if it was a seizure. I plan on calling and asking if the report said anything besides "normal". The reason I thought seizure vs spacing out is he won't respond, he can be in the middle of talking or walking and it happens, and his eye lids flutter sometimes when he spaces. His therapist is surprised they weren't seizures too. Shes seen how out of it he is during an episode.

Jnc91
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Quoting lucasmadre:

that would be why I was so stunned as he presented exactly as one would expect if they were seizures. I plan on calling and asking if they had more details, like was it "perfect normal" or "within normal limits". Two different things. Plus it's a teaching hospital so I'm curious who read the test, someone experienced or newbie? Then I'm hoping I can get a copy of the test. I'd like to look at it and if I see something suspicious get a second opinion. I do plan on writing down everytime he has an event and details so if it continues I have more information.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN