Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

moms with nonverbal children

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM
  • 4 Replies
How do you have your nonverbal children communicate their emotions to others? My 5 year old son is completely nonverbal and I don't know how to help him communicate his negative emotions nonverbally.
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lucasmadre
by Kari on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

When my son was having touble communicating emotions I had him make drawings of different feelings- mad, sad, frustrated, lonely, etc. and then put magnets on the back and hung them on the fridge. Whenever he was feelings something he could go get the picture and show it to me. It worked wonders....he was about your sons age when we did it. Good luck sweetie! XO

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

You could make him PECS cards showing emotions that he could carry and show people as he needs to. 

N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

My son in the past was not talking. So we got him a speech device that came with pictures of faces that happy,sad ect. But we never used that cause he shows his feeling. We got it so he can tell us if he wanted to eat or a toy ect. He is talking now. So we dont use it anymore.Could you get him a device ?

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM
My son is an artist...he expressed his feelings through drawings. Before, he grunts, yell, scream.... try to give him a drawing pad and pencil. That's how my son started.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)