Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Seeking Advice: Starting a special needs Girl Scout troop at my dd's school

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hello! 

Does anyone have any experience leading a Girl Scout troop?  I am trying to get one started at my daughter's special needs school this year.  The school is excited about this possibility, but I want to hear any kind of advice on this from other parent volunteers of the Girl Scouts.  I was a GS when I was in the fifth grade, and then my troop folded after one year.  TIA! 

by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM
You have to attend their training in order to be a leader. That's the first thing. The main thing with GS is that you let the girls do most of the planning and work. For example, let them pick something to do. And then let them figure out how they can get it done. I was a leader for my dd's troop. The other lady that led with me was gung-ho crazy about completing every single badge and activity. The girls did none of the planning. It honestly drove me crazy and I quit. There are a lot of things you can do with the girls but those are all options. It doesn't mean you have to do ALL of them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM

This sounds great! I have no idea how to get things started but love the idea of you doing this for these girls

amonkeymom
by Amy on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I was a troop leader for 3 years a while back and it's really fun, but my troop was mostly all NT girls (2 with ADHD, but no other special needs).  I think it's a great idea!

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Aug. 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I led GS brownie troop for two yrs. The first few months were good and the girls really enjoyed it but then the GS organization begin pushing the journey books which were more 'canned' programs. The girls did not like the books. It was not near as fun.  I got all the training but my coleader never did any training - drove me up the wall. The group ended after 2 yrs and we switched to 4H. I lead the group because I wanted to help my daughter with social interactions - for us 4H was better. I think this was due to the kids involved in each group. A group for special needs girls sounds really good.

KnittingMomC
by Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM

The school is very receptive to this idea, but getting the parents involved and a co-leader is also necessary. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)