Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

how early did you notice?

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:35 PM
  • 32 Replies
My son is only about 11 months but Im so paranoid of him having something and not noticing early on. My sister has Aspergers and none of us really noticed or said anything until she was close to 10 years old (and first they just said ADHD and she didnt get a proper diagnosis until she was in her young teens) and I think it made things really hard on her since we had to educate ourselves and her as well. Plus she didnt have the benefit of having a set system from a young age. I know a few things to look for but I dont know when its too early to look into it. I dont want to be paranoid and start picking at things that are possibly nothing but normal toddler behavior but I also dont want to be dismissive and miss the chance to help him from an early age. I called early intervention for some eating issues (I cant get him to eat anything but breastmilk from the boob and we have been trying for about 6 months) so now Im a little nervous. I just dont want to make the same mistake my parents made in ignoring the signs until hes in jr high.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
baby wearing, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, breastfeeding first time mamma
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Blueluvr
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM

When i had my first son, I was blessed by God to have the experience of being a preschool teacher who had the occasional child show up in my room with autism as a result of another teacher needing a break. ( Low budget elementary school that took all who needed help) I didnt know at the time, I jst thought he was an "odd" child. I remember loving alone time and I prefered not to be with others bc I jst felt so overwhelmed.  ANYHOW... fast forward to my son... He was born at 7 months exactly and they let me take him home 3 days later. A little unsure of myself i did as best as I could, being as I was a single mother then. (daddy was in Iraq)  Almst immediately i noticed he was "behind" but when I asked the doctore.. he assured me that premature children are a little behind, then catch up. So ok... no worries... as time when on, I realized.. he didnt do ANYTHING. I think his first giggle was maybe 9 months? I cried seeing him smile for the first time. Web cam auditions to try to make it happen again to show his dad... of course.. it didnt happen. I think it was from then... I jst noticed everything. No baby gibber jabber. So baby cooing, no nothing. I even remember telling my mother.. "I think somethings wrong with him?"   I'm almst in tears writing this bc i feel I have let him down as a mother waiting so long to get him evaluated... he's 5 now. Jst started talkin... sigh* he's the light of my eye. He didnt start crawling till about 15 months while my friends babies were talkin and saying words already and 8 - 12 months... Before I drag this out and kill myself with my regret of waiting so long.. IF you feel in your gut that something may be wrong with him.. pls mention your concern with a doctor. That way, help can happen early.. and your son, doesnt have to have a hard time like you said your sister did, like i know my son did :-(   Any no matter what the out come... it'll be ok.

Macphee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Kudos to you jujubee,

Rule of thumb, go with the mommy instincts. never fail. Feeding issues should definitely be evaluated to help with OT services. My son had issues until 12 months with eating from a spoon, crawled late, etc.

Language, eye contact and responsiveness to names has to do with communication. There is nothing wrong with keeping an eye out. Just don't miss the good stuff too.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM

We started to see the signs when he was 2.5 but had my 2nd child been my first I think we would have known sooner. He was our first and I 2nd guessed  my suspicions for awhile.

kajira
by Emma on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM
I wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult, and I have classic autism. It was missed in me. I don't know how, because the doctors I saw said it was really, really obvious I was autistic. The signs were there for me from a young age. They just didn't know what they were looking at I guess. I would recommend having your son evaluated by early intervention if you are worried. At the very least, it could put your mind at ease, or get some stuff set up while you start figuring out who he is. He's going to be your son no matter what...
amonkeymom
by Amy on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM

My son was probably 4-5 when we really started to notice that something was a little off and that was more related to sensory issues and having trouble with bike riding (pedalling).

wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Quoting Blueluvr:

When i had my first son, I was blessed by God to have the experience of being a preschool teacher who had the occasional child show up in my room with autism as a result of another teacher needing a break. ( Low budget elementary school that took all who needed help) I didnt know at the time, I jst thought he was an "odd" child. I remember loving alone time and I prefered not to be with others bc I jst felt so overwhelmed.  ANYHOW... fast forward to my son... He was born at 7 months exactly and they let me take him home 3 days later. A little unsure of myself i did as best as I could, being as I was a single mother then. (daddy was in Iraq)  Almst immediately i noticed he was "behind" but when I asked the doctore.. he assured me that premature children are a little behind, then catch up. So ok... no worries... as time when on, I realized.. he didnt do ANYTHING. I think his first giggle was maybe 9 months? I cried seeing him smile for the first time. Web cam auditions to try to make it happen again to show his dad... of course.. it didnt happen. I think it was from then... I jst noticed everything. No baby gibber jabber. So baby cooing, no nothing. I even remember telling my mother.. "I think somethings wrong with him?"   I'm almst in tears writing this bc i feel I have let him down as a mother waiting so long to get him evaluated... he's 5 now. Jst started talkin... sigh* he's the light of my eye. He didnt start crawling till about 15 months while my friends babies were talkin and saying words already and 8 - 12 months... Before I drag this out and kill myself with my regret of waiting so long.. IF you feel in your gut that something may be wrong with him.. pls mention your concern with a doctor. That way, help can happen early.. and your son, doesnt have to have a hard time like you said your sister did, like i know my son did :-(   Any no matter what the out come... it'll be ok.

Mama don't beat yourself up! You're a good mom! Sometimes we're just too close to a situation to see the truth...I was oblivious to my sons autism because in my eyes he was perfect as a matter of fact he still is :-)
N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM

My 1st son was born early. He had to stay in hospital a week cause at 1st he would not want to eat. But he was fine after that. He did not do anything on his own. We had to teach him everything from rolling over to crawling ect. Had him in speech cause he way behing on talking and he got up to 50 words and it all stopped. His doc kept saying he did not have autism cause he not hit head on wall. He was 3 years old and still not talking. Got him tested and he has autism. Now he is 5 years old and he is talking. Still way behind. But today he said hi to me. Also in past he only wanted me. Or he would cry and scream if anyone else hold him when baby. And no eye contact.

Idntreallycare
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 5:52 PM

my son, I had thoughts before he was a year old... he did a LOT of hand flapping. But I couldn't really put my finger on it. 

NLBrown
by New Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM
My daughter was 2 when I started to notice something was up. She finally got her diagnosis at 5 because I didn't learn about ASD until she was 4 years old.
smarieljlee
by Sara on Aug. 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM

We knew that our daughter was a bit different very early on. We put it off as adhd until preschool. Nowadays autism is pretty early. Especially when the parents are aware of the signs. Thats not to say it isnt missed all.the.time... but like I said, you know a bit more what to look for.

As of now, as long as he isnt missing milestones and seems happy, I wouldnt worry. Totally normal for infants to prefer the boob. Thats all he needs anyway. My other dd (not autistic) did not take to solid food until after a year. Slowly she found food she liked. Great eater now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)