Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Looking some advice

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 3:59 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hi everyone I'm a newbie hahaha

my daughter Katie almost 3 is in the process of assessment/diagnosis.

she doesn't speak much. Very little language and then just gobble de ghook, she bites herself when there are any children around. Children roughly the same age and younger, especially younger. She's an absolutely awful sleeper. Only eats about 5 foods. Won't get into a bath or have her hair washed or brushed.

Constantly hyper and on the go no idea of danger etc, closes her eyes and spines round and round in circles.

But absolutely beautiful, and melts my heart everyday. I also have another little who's six. Katie loves her big sister but has been known to bite her ha. 

Shes already started speech therapy, had her hearing checked. Now waiting on appointment for an ot and the date for the child development assessement. 

Is there anything I can do in the mean time.??? Thanks girls xxxx

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 3:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 4, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Welcome!!

She sounds like my daughter in every way, who is NOT autistic! Haha! Mine is the reason I don't have 10 kids becuase she was always on the go and so rotten!! She's 16 now and still a PITA...lol.

My 12 year old son is autistic and a dream as far as behavior...So she may not be anything be a naughty toddler!

I think the best thing you can do for yourself and for her is to research...read up on autism and what the best help for her besides speech might be.

lucasmadre
by Kari on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I think after you get your diagnosis it will be clearer what you should do but I agree with Michele that reading up doesn't hurt anyone. Just try your local library and don't overwhelm yourself. Whatever comes it will be ok. Our kids are wonderful and I wouldn't change my son for anything. I wish things were easier for him sometimes but we all have out battles...good luck and welcome to the group. Keep posting, this is a great place to get support.  XO

patnic
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Welcome.

Have you thought about a rubber "P" chewie that she can chew on instead of biting herself when other kids around?  My son was a biter since he was one, would/will bite when he is angry and honestly, would probably bite us now, even if he is happy.  He loves that feeling.  The "P" helps him, you wouldn't believe how he goes at, chewing on that thing.  (He uses gum at school.)  

Since she is three, she may qualify for free preschool in your school district.  So call up your school and start that process.  They will probably want to have their own team give her an "educational dx" in order for her to qualify for the school.  She might be able to start this Fall.  I know that might be scary for you, but honestly, I had a very good experience.   They will probably provide OT, Speech services too.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group...these ladies have some great ideas!

emarin77
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Hello and welcome.  Make sure your daughter gets into a preschool after diagnosis.  Just keep introducing new foods to her.  Have her try them and let her know it is ok if she doesn't like them.  To bathe she eaither likes the shower or the tub.

maciymommieof3
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM

welcome...... sounds like your on the right track to getting things done :)

Macphee
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Mummushell,
Welcome to the group. Yes, take mommy time. What games does Katie like to play?
When my son was non verbal with no eye contact, he would engage with us when wrestling. We would lay down mats and this is how he and his then 2 yr old brother played. We also connected with him that way.
3 yrs later, his younger brother is competing in karate.
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Aug. 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Welcome to the group momma. I would just keep working with her speech therapist. Ask the therapist if she has suggestions that you could be working on. 

bigmama423
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Welcome to the group!!
I think you're on the right path! Have you made any dietary changes?
Sometimes a change in diet can help with behavior and hyperactivity.
We're slowly working on diet changes for my son..he's 8 and all over the place!! ;)
kjlmommy
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Our nutritionist had us start offering our very picky eater some different foods to try at times other than meals.  At first we would just encourage him to pick the foods up, maybe "kiss" the food, smell it, get used to the feel of it in his hands, etc.  We wouldn't push him to eat it.  After a few times of this, we would encourage him to put it between his teeth to feel what biting it would be like, but again, we wouldn't push him to eat it.  We would show him that it was ok to spit it out.  This was a long process, but it got him eating several more foods.  We are still doing it with anything he doesn't take to immediately.  Try foods with similar textures to the ones she likes.. so if she likes apples, try pears or carrots for the crunch.  Good luck!  Food issues are really tough, but it is worth the effort.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN