Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

sign language

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 11 Replies

has anyone here had success with teaching their speechless child sign language? if so how did you learn it?

by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mami286
by Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

i never thought id see a post like this , yayyyy!!!! well i did and its a life saver. i got the "signing time collection" and i love it. i still show them the videos and sign to them even though they are talking more and more. i must say its fun too.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Aug. 13, 2013 at 12:57 PM

My son refused to learn this. He does better with picture cards. 

To teach sign language I would recommend hand over hand until he understands how to do it on his own.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I haven't had to but am interested in hearing if others have been successful at it!

heathers5500
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I started baby sign from newborn....when my DS stopped speaking he retained his signs.  I used baby can sign videos to learn, once started speaking again he would drop the sign as he mastered the word.

bigmama423
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I never attempted sign language, but I do have a friend who has taught her ASD kiddos sign language.

We love signing time and baby signing time though, we do know a few signs.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 13, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Exactly

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

I haven't had to but am interested in hearing if others have been successful at it!

shugerbit
by Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM

My son is almost 3 and uses the signs, help, more, for me, and open, and occasionally all done.  Besides that he can say the word me, that's it. Signing has opened a whole world of communication for him. He uses help the most because it can be used for almost everything.  He was taught hand over hand, then eventually it was push his hands together, then it was just a tap of his elbow to prompt him.  Now he does them independently.

charley31
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 8:19 PM
I have great success with it. I learned by reading up on it and my sons behaviorist. I saw Ryan picked up on it real fast. He knows all the animals too its cute. But it's soo helpful when he's having a meltdown and his tic acts up. I just sign tell me what you want. Together we sign "I want...." If we are out and I want him to say please or thank you to someone I just sign it since he typically won't look at them he's looking at me. It's the best thing I've ever learned since Ryan gets so angry and worked up I can't figure out what he needs. Rather than talking over his screams I just sign.
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM

We tried signing but hand over hand does not work for my daughter, she hates her hands being touched and her wouldn't try to do the signs by watching me (really hard to get her to look my direction when trying to show a sign) so we use picture communication instead.

jennymoon4
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:25 AM
My daughter is 6. She is learning many signs now. She learns to identify signs through selecting the correct picture DTT style, reinforced by seeing her behaviorist do it. As she progresses, she learns to show the sign requested. She uses some independently, but prefers to use her words. Her intelligibily is low however, so she signs when we don't understand. She also uses Touchchat on the iPad to communicate. Total communication approach - however she can express herself, we take. This has been a long progress, but with time it is suddenly all falling into place. Continually presenting the sign & using it ourselves seemed to help her take to signing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN