Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Picky eater going to school for first time. Any ideas???

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this
Anything that helped your ads kids and testing kids?? I am new mom and planning to pack a lunch every day for him. Im having a hard time planning it out. Help!!!!!
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM
What does he eat?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Monkeymama930
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Does his classroom have a fridge? And how old is he? I am assuming kindsrgarten?

I suggest to my parents to send in 2 choices if possible. Then I set both befor the child and ask pick one. And that's what we make or send down for lunch.

Hope that helps :-)
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 17, 2013 at 6:14 AM

Good luck...I have the same questions as these ladies:)

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:24 AM

My son will only eat an apple butter sandwich. I change the chips daily from pretzels, cheetos, and plain chips. I put in an apple sauce or raisins or some piece of fruit. My son is lactose intolerant so i put in juices. He eats more food than this but most of it has to be cooked so those aren't an option. I don't know what else to pack him since he is picky. So I am pretty much in the same boat as you on this momma. 

Kate00
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Will he do muffins or pancakes? Trying to think of things you can sneak veggies or protein in.
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM

We buy my son's lunch at school,but he barely eats at all anyway:)  They have 2 snack times,so i'll send 2 small juices(Fruitables have fruit and veggie in it),baby carrots,crackers,pretzels,raisins,he went thru a hummus phase,aplle slices,cinnamon bread,Weight Watchers has small snack cakes he likes the carrot cake ones.  He is a very picky eater and sometimes survives on milk alone.

solen
by VintageMom on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I would START the school year trying to pack his favorite things. I would also show him exactly what I packed and show him how to open lunch box etc (if needed, some kids would not need this, but woth reviews so he knows)  Here is why I would do that at first.  He will have enough "new things" to deal with so I would make sure he had his favorite things and that his lunch was something he could count on being  "routine" or "expected"

As time goes on, I would stretch the variety etc.

With my son, he has a huge lunch pail form pottery barn and I can put a big freezer brick in there or thermos for hot soups.  I send a lot of choices and  since the cold pack is big, if I unpack it as soon as he gets home, the food isn't spoiled.

I send things like cheese sticks, odwalla fruit smoothies (loves the mango tango) bananas, pita and hummus, etc.  The easier it is to eat, the more likely he will eat it!  He now can heat things up at school, but when he couldn't I would heat a bean and cheese burrito to really hot, then wrap it in wax paper and foil, then wrap his napkin around it.  They stayed warm enough for lunch and he really loved that!

Is he able to help make choices and pack his lunch???  Then he is sort of "invested" in it and may like eating it more.  Can always put little notes in there too. 

Be careful w peanut butter, so many kids are allergic. Check w the school.

My son likes deconstructed sandwiches, so I send rolls, turkey meat, cheese all seperate.

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM
My son only eat waffles and toast in school so we provided them with bread toaster. They have a fridge so I sent almond milk for his lucky charms cereal.
strmrayne
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Our school has enough choices that my son eats school lunch. It has only been a problem once or twice. They have two main menu options, three veggie options, fruit options and they also have a sandwich option if they don't like the menu for that day. My son won't eat fruits it veggies but he will eat the main entree and the grain options and if he doesn't like that there is always the sandwich. He is homeschooled now though so we make his lunches if course. The school system, just this year, is changing their portion sizes which would have been a problem for him. They are making the main entree smaller to try to force kids to eat more veggies and fruits to fill them up. We would have had to pack a lunch for them. The website 100 days of real food (google that. I can't remember the URL) is a great resource. She posts what she packs for her chdren for lunch and has some really great ideas that I never would have thought of as options for school lunch.
SnowWhieQueen
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:50 AM
i make my picky eaters eat the school food ...they have learned not to be so picky..sorry i cant be of more help...good luck tho i know its hard
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN