Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

He is driving me up the wall tonight...

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM
  • 5 Replies

He has been screaming, shrieking, banging, hitting, pinching, flipping people off, called his sister a bitch (he approximates it bii and it took the longest time to figure that out) all up in my face all day long...he doesn't normally verbalize so much. Not to mention the high pitched "singing" ...and he skipped his nap today, too, he is ten and takes one everyday. 

I can not wait for his aba therapy to start. They are calling to schedule it on Monday and it took them at least 6 weeks to get approval...I am also waiting for his AAC evaluation to take place. I am hopeful that that means that he will stop the cursing because he will be able to "speak".   

Think it will help?

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Nova86
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I hope that the ABA and AAC will help. Not being able to communicate is a big cause of meltdowns for us. Our ABA let us go, but it did help a bit before.

Sorry not much help. My son, also 10, has meltdowns almost daily.
rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM

For us they are not as common but the "minor" behaviors add up and right now his dad leaves for work 4 days a week (Thursday-Sunday) at 5pm gets home at 7am and promptly goes to sleep until at least 2:45 and often until 3 :30or 4. It is adding up to a very stressful time.

Our ABA let us go too because I told him that they were not providing the services that they were contracted to and instead of providing the service they dropped us. I complained to the company we contract through and they're providing us with a new company that they also contract with but it's now taken almost 6 months total and is six weeks since the evaluation.

AAC does help but unfortunately we're using the limited program that was free for the iPad or iPhone. it's called TapToTalk. It's also available for other programs but I don't know if they have a free sample if you can get the program it can make life a lot easier but like I said it's a really limited program. We are trying to get him an iPad and the program for the iPad because that's, at this point, what the school is supposed to be providing for him but until we know for sure we don't want to spend the money so we are stuck with the free program at home.

Quoting Nova86:

I hope that the ABA and AAC will help. Not being able to communicate is a big cause of meltdowns for us. Our ABA let us go, but it did help a bit before.

Sorry not much help. My son, also 10, has meltdowns almost daily.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Hugs mama!

johnns
by Johnna on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM
We all have days like that. Today it was me that was cranky- none of my kids could breathe right!
Hang in there mama!
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Hope today is a better day, mama! HUGS!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)