Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How do I get him to stop?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM
  • 11 Replies
My son, 5, loves to climb on the roof of my van and my moms car. I have done time outs spanking, not letting him go outside. Nothing seems to work. He thinks its a game and does it all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Maybe he's doing it for attention?  Since something always seems to happen after he does it, that might be the case.  How about not allowing the opportunity to climb on the roof of the vans?  Is that an option?

emarin77
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Does he climb on anything else in the house, like the couch, end tables, etc?  I would start with those and use positive reinforcement.  If he doesn't climb on them give him a sticker.  After a week of getting stickers and he acomplished attaining so much of them give an award of his choosing like getting an ice cream or other snack for example.  My son used to climb on the furniture and couch.  After a couple of weeks of using positive reinforcement he rarely climbs anymore.

Jenn8604
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Id have to never let him outside. he can be playing just fine and then take off for it.
He thinks he's funny. He does all sorts of things to try to get a laugh. I swear this child will try to be the class clown.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Maybe he's doing it for attention?  Since something always seems to happen after he does it, that might be the case.  How about not allowing the opportunity to climb on the roof of the vans?  Is that an option?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:41 PM
i don't care if he climbs on furniture tho. just the van since he's denting my roof.

Quoting emarin77:

Does he climb on anything else in the house, like the couch, end tables, etc?  I would start with those and use positive reinforcement.  If he doesn't climb on them give him a sticker.  After a week of getting stickers and he acomplished attaining so much of them give an award of his choosing like getting an ice cream or other snack for example.  My son used to climb on the furniture and couch.  After a couple of weeks of using positive reinforcement he rarely climbs anymore.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucasmadre
by Kari on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:18 AM
The only thing that works with my son is consequences. Find something he loves and use that as a tool to modify his behavior. Warn him that the next time he climbs on the van you will take away his favorite privilege and then follow through every time he climbs the van. It isn't any fun but it works for almost all kids. There has to be something he loves- computer time, tv, favorite toy....give it a try. Good luck :)
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Just keep correcting him and hopeful he'll just stop...maybe it's a phase? You know how boys can be??!!!!!

LadyReal
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Find something that he likes and when he misbehave take it from him.  And constantly remind him why he can not behave this way because it is dangerous.  And if all else fell get a child leash and when the door opens make him stay by you and he will eventually get the message

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Is there somewhere appropriate that he can climb around you? Like a jungle gym or a tree. I would show him those are ok to climb but cars and vans are not. 

Jenn8604
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM
he has a slide.

Quoting JTMOM422:

Is there somewhere appropriate that he can climb around you? Like a jungle gym or a tree. I would show him those are ok to climb but cars and vans are not. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM
lol I think life is a series of phases.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Just keep correcting him and hopeful he'll just stop...maybe it's a phase? You know how boys can be??!!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN