Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

melatonin...

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:15 PM
  • 16 Replies

after reading the other post on this, it lead me to another question. do they have melatonin for kids or do you just use the same for adults? I really need something to help my son with sleep and want to do this. and is it supposed to work right away or is it something that develops to work over time?

by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
philipmommy4834
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:16 PM

We use liquid melotonin from whole foods and the pediatrician gave us a dosage.

Clemency3
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:18 PM

ok...thanks then I will ask them then. 

Quoting philipmommy4834:

We use liquid melotonin from whole foods and the pediatrician gave us a dosage.

shooting_star21
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

we use the "naturol" melotonin from feel rite. according to our pediatrician, we give him 1 ml a night. But i would asked your pediatrician. They started him off at .5 ml and then we increased him.

But yes..it's an "adult" one.. don't think there is one just for kids..

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

And know that every kid is different. My daughter is only a little over 2 but she take 3mg and sometimes I think I may need to increase it again because she can take her dosage and keep going for another 2+ hours.

shajdinyak
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM
melatonin never worked for our middle of the night wake ups
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

6yo DS ASD took Melatonin for yrs,3-9mg.  Now he does not need it at all.  We use "NOW" brand,an orange flavor liquid my kiddo took w/no problem,it is 3mg per 1ml dropper.  Check w/your Dr for a dosage.  It would work within 30min for DS,it does not take time to build up,it only works the nights that you give it.  It really saved all our sanity,good sleep is important for the whole family.  GL.

johnns
by Johnna on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM
I just gave Sally hers. Don't know how I feel about this. Never had to give my kids anything like this before. :(
Clemency3
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Thank you to all! I appreciate hearing your experiences with it and will make an appointment b/c I know this will help him. I take it for myself and it certainly is a life saver with sleep and relaxation and so forth. 

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM

My daughter was a poor sleeper from birth and I fought and fought to get her on a schedule on my own without any help. But every time she'd get sick, she'd pretty much stop sleeping for very long periods of time and when she'd get well, I would have to start all over to get her to even sleep a little at night. I finally said enough was enough and gave it a try ........ and she became a brand new person. She started finding focus in her activities and actually enjoyed being around other people. And I was able to get the rest I needed and became a much better mom to her. The only regret I have is waiting so long before giving it a chance. Don't worry...... you'll know if its right for her and the worst thing is that it just doesn't work. I remember worrying. Take care. ::Hugs::

Quoting johnns:

I just gave Sally hers. Don't know how I feel about this. Never had to give my kids anything like this before. :(

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:02 AM

I've never tried this but always say I'm going to. Everyone says you get great results!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)