Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long do they ride the bus for?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Jen
  • 13 Replies
My 3 yr old starts speech tomorrow and its only 75 mins long but he gets a bus. I'll leave out the part about how they have given me the run around about using a car seat and just seemed to hope I'd forget. After multiple calls I was told to wait for info.
Guess when the bus driver called me? At 10:00 pm. Less than 10 hrs before pick up and no, there's no car seat.
Then I find out the 1.7 mile ride to the school will take 1 HOUR! WTF?

so glad I had already decided to drive him cause there's NO way my baby is riding an hour on a bus without a car seat. Smh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM

why so long?  and why would he get a bus to go to therapy?

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:29 PM
It's so long cause they pick up 20 kids from all over. And it's therapy for his IEP. They have to offer transportation.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:36 PM

so its throught the school.

that is why it takes so long for him to go a short distance is because they have 20 kids.

is it possable that the bus has built in carseat seat belt thing.

the bus that picks my kid up for school has them for the kids under 50 pounds

Quoting mypbandj:

It's so long cause they pick up 20 kids from all over. And it's therapy for his IEP. They have to offer transportation.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM
It doesn't. The bus he could ride home on has only 2 built in car seats. Believe me. I've gone round and round about this with them!

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

so its throught the school.

that is why it takes so long for him to go a short distance is because they have 20 kids.

is it possable that the bus has built in carseat seat belt thing.

the bus that picks my kid up for school has them for the kids under 50 pounds

Quoting mypbandj:

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM
I don't blame you that's ridiclous. I would drive my son too.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:13 AM

That is ridiculous!  Brady's school provides bus transportation for all the kids, and each child has a 5 point harness carseat.  Period!  Brady doesn't ride the bus though.  

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I live right next door to the school my son attends. They wanted to know if he was going to ride the bus to school. I told them no that I would take him. He would end up riding in the mornings for over 20 mins and close to an hour on the way home. I can walk there is 3 minutes. 

I agree I wouldn't want my child on the bus without a car seat or some safety device.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I drive my little guy too. The bus just isn't worth it. The ride (20 min) to go 1.9 miles to school seemed like a huge waste if time and effort. My son tries to ride each year- but after 2 years and too many icky experiences- it leaves him happier for me to drive him. Its 5 min out if my day-
There always seems to b some kid who gives him a tough time and it just puts him in a bad mood. The bus monitor doesn't even speak much english- so she cant ( or wont) intervene.
Ugh...
girl_incognito
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:29 AM

My son's school is 45 minutes away in the next county (by car). The bus route is 2 hours there and 2 hours back. (sometimes 1 hr 30 min.  depending on if the other child has a meltdown) I can not take him and be here for my other two children. I will be so glad when his transition to public school is done so I can drive him again.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I'm surprized they do not have special busing for him.  My son always wears a harness when he is on the bus for school and going home.  My son's school is just 5 minutes down the road but unaware how long he stays in the bus.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)