Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

UPDATE!!! Taking dd to peds need advice.

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 34 Replies
I'm taking Delia back to pedis after her early intervention visit and they say she's not delayed so there's nothing they can do. Well I'm taking her to the pedis on Thursday cuz I don't know where else to go or what to do. How do I get her attention that I KNOW something g is not right. She's not getting any better. She's the same since birth. Other than she can crawl and pull up on stuff. But emotionally and socially she's not good. She cries all day, won't let anyone hold her but me even when I hold her she doesn't really want me to hold her. So I put her down and she cries again... I'm at my wits end because I know something is wrong I just don't know where or who to turn to.... What can I say to her ped to do something.. Testing? Neurologist???? Something needs to start happening cuz my dd is miserable...help! Plz

So I took Delia today-- it happened again, the pedi just dismissed what I said and acted like its me that's causing her to be miserable... Like babies can feel energy blah blah I get it!!! But she's been like this since birth!!!! Wtf!? She recommended some book and said basically to put her in a pack n play and don't give in to her. Like what?! I already do that-- cuz there's no possible way I could hold her as much as she demands from me all day... What to do where to turn... Idk but she doesn't think anything is up w her... And I KNOW there is... Oh and the book she recommended was a behavior book for 2-12 year olds!!! "1-2-3 magic" it's not a discipline problem!!
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:26 AM

What's going on with baby girl?

kajira
by Emma on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Have you ever considered that *maybe* it's you and not her? If she's also extra clingy wtih you - it can be normal for development... especially the wanting to be held part.

It sounds more like YOU are miserable with her development, and her clingy behaviors and feel it's not normal.

IF you have anxiety, she'll sense that, making her clinginess MORE likely.

harajukumoma
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Well ever since birth she's been unexplainably fussy. She still can't calm herself.. Won't let me cuddle her. At bedtime she just takes her bottle in her crib alone.. I can't rock her shed rather just be in crib alone w bottle. She doesn't let anyone hold her except me and daddy if I'm not home. She has odd little quirks. She uses to scratch surfaces until 7 mos, she still hand flaps not as much but still does. She grabs her ear for no reason, and she hits at it too. The main thing is she just cries for no reason. I don't think it's anything physical. She poops normal. She cries all day and has an extreme attachment to me. If I'm around she cries non stop but my SO claims she's not like this when I'm not around. Although yesterday I went back to work and he said she cried all day. She'll be 1 on the 30th... It's like having a colicky baby but she's 1... I just don't get it

Quoting JTMOM422:

charley31
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Perhaps it's her diet or other issues not necessarily autism. My son was soo cranky as an infant. He had horrific reflux and e couldn't have any dairy. Has anyone said she might be autistic or is it you thinking it could be a possibility. I was ignorant I knew nothing of autism until I had dr warn me that he was showing signs. His early intervention team were the ones to tell me his behavior wasn't "typical". He' was my only child and I have no other experience. What makes you think autism tho
harajukumoma
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM
But she's been like this since birth...?? All the time. I mean I hope it's me and not her. I really just want her to be happy .

Quoting kajira:

Have you ever considered that *maybe* it's you and not her? If she's also extra clingy wtih you - it can be normal for development... especially the wanting to be held part.

It sounds more like YOU are miserable with her development, and her clingy behaviors and feel it's not normal.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM

If your regular pedi isn't doing anything, ask for a referral to a developmental pediatrician.  They will listen to your concerns, and be the ones that could recognize/diagnose anything if it is there.  They may also tell you she is too little and have to wait and see.  But I hate the wait and see approach, for us it was just a time waster when we could have been proactive and getting services.  So I support you pushing forward.  I think mother's know so much about our kids that get disregarded and overlooked by doctors who see them for 10 minutes.  If you feel there is something more, there certainly could be.  Just hang in there and keep at it, but get a referral and move on to a fresh opinion.  Also, start writing down anything you feel is odd, quirky, delayed, etc as well as take pictures of what you can.  Take this to your appointments.  Best of luck!!  You are not alone!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM

On the ear thing, have you ruled out hearing loss or ear infections/fluid?  Ear pain can cause really crankiness in kids.  Certainly wouldn't answer for everything you've listed but maybe some of that.

Quoting harajukumoma:

Well ever since birth she's been unexplainably fussy. She still can't calm herself.. Won't let me cuddle her. At bedtime she just takes her bottle in her crib alone.. I can't rock her shed rather just be in crib alone w bottle. She doesn't let anyone hold her except me and daddy if I'm not home. She has odd little quirks. She uses to scratch surfaces until 7 mos, she still hand flaps not as much but still does. She grabs her ear for no reason, and she hits at it too. The main thing is she just cries for no reason. I don't think it's anything physical. She poops normal. She cries all day and has an extreme attachment to me. If I'm around she cries non stop but my SO claims she's not like this when I'm not around. Although yesterday I went back to work and he said she cried all day. She'll be 1 on the 30th... It's like having a colicky baby but she's 1... I just don't get it

Quoting JTMOM422:

harajukumoma
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM
And it's just so extreme...

Quoting kajira:

harajukumoma
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM
We are trying gluten free.. It hasn't been that long so I don't know if it's working. Ya I was thinking a dev. Pedi also.. Thank u

Quoting charley31:

Perhaps it's her diet or other issues not necessarily autism. My son was soo cranky as an infant. He had horrific reflux and e couldn't have any dairy. Has anyone said she might be autistic or is it you thinking it could be a possibility. I was ignorant I knew nothing of autism until I had dr warn me that he was showing signs. His early intervention team were the ones to tell me his behavior wasn't "typical". He' was my only child and I have no other experience. What makes you think autism tho

harajukumoma
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:45 AM
At her apt a couple weeks ago for her low fever they looked and just saw a little fluid. So maybe? But I think it was cuz the girls were sick but ill talk to the pedi about that possibility. Hearing was checked at birth that's it.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

On the ear thing, have you ruled out hearing loss or ear infections/fluid?  Ear pain can cause really crankiness in kids.  Certainly wouldn't answer for everything you've listed but maybe some of that.

Quoting harajukumoma:

Quoting JTMOM422:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN