Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

QiGong massage and music therapy

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:09 PM
  • 12 Replies

Has anyone tried and had success with QiGong massage or music therapy?

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Never heard of QiGong massage. We don't have music therapy around here that I know of

HippoCat
by Hadley on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM

It's a massage technique that was developed for kids with Autism to help them regulate. My DS naturopath recommended it to help him be less of a "pin ball". Check out www.qsti.org if you are interested. It lists providers in your area if there are any and I think it explains it too. It's fairly new I think.

Quoting JTMOM422:

Never heard of QiGong massage. We don't have music therapy around here that I know of

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Thank you. i will check it out

Quoting HippoCat:

It's a massage technique that was developed for kids with Autism to help them regulate. My DS naturopath recommended it to help him be less of a "pin ball". Check out www.qsti.org if you are interested. It lists providers in your area if there are any and I think it explains it too. It's fairly new I think.

Quoting JTMOM422:

emarin77
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

When my son had major symptoms of aggressiveness at age 3 I put on music.  It kept him very calm and collective.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM

We do the ILS (integrated listening system) for our music therapy.

KatyTylersMom
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM

We did music therapy in conjunction with our speech therapy for a while because the musical instruments were enough of an incentive to get my son talking.  For the therapy we had a really great musician with every instrument known to man and my son got to play anything he liked IF he talked about it.  So that may not be the type of music therapy you're referring to:)

HippoCat
by Hadley on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:20 AM

That's kind if what I had in mind. Sounds awesome. I think music might be a good avenue for my son to express himself. He loves it and it calms him down.

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

We did music therapy in conjunction with our speech therapy for a while because the musical instruments were enough of an incentive to get my son talking.  For the therapy we had a really great musician with every instrument known to man and my son got to play anything he liked IF he talked about it.  So that may not be the type of music therapy you're referring to:)

HippoCat
by Hadley on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM

This looks interesting. Thanks for sharing

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

We do the ILS (integrated listening system) for our music therapy.

mamalena137
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM

My son did a music therapy group one summer. We always have music in our house, my family are musicians. At his last school, his social worker found singing to him helped to calm him. I had never heard of QiGong massage, but have been told and do deep tissue massage with my son. He doesn't like light touches, but stronger touch.

KatyTylersMom
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM

You kno w it's motivating when a mostly non-verbal 2 year old will spit out the word "glockenspiel" (which I may not even have spelled correctly) with perfect articulation b/c he WANTS IT SOOOOOO BAD!!! :) But yeah the music therapist was really wonderful and had a lot of experience working with kids with autism so there were PECS for every instrument, for every action you could take with an instrument (strum vs. bang vs. shake vs. play etc. all had their own PEC b/c why not?) and she could make up a song about anything and play every instrument with complete ease. 

My son's favorite?  Q-CHORD!!!!! An electronic harp that you can press about 9 million buttons to change pitches, rhythms, etc? OH HELL YES. 

Quoting HippoCat:

That's kind if what I had in mind. Sounds awesome. I think music might be a good avenue for my son to express himself. He loves it and it calms him down.

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN