Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

He used the potty! Now what?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM
  • 7 Replies

I decided to sit my son down on the potty, just to see what would happen. We played with the Elmo potty app and a few games for awhile, and to my surprise he pooped! I made a big deal about it and made sure he saw it, and then I didn't know what to do next so I just put his diaper on and put him down for a nap. 

I'm not really sure where to go from here. He's not exactly showing any signs of "potty training readiness" and I'm not sure if he understands what happened when he went potty. 

Now what? Should I continue putting him on the potty and waiting for him to go for awhile until he can understand the concept better? Or should I just dive right in to underwear and accidents? He doesn't seem to know when he has a dirty diaper, so I'm not sure that would be beneficial. I doubt he would understand any kind of a rewards chart. 

He has very little communication, but I think I can teach him to use the ipad to tell me when he has to go, once he understands what that means. 

If he's not ready, when will that become clear? 

Any advice would be helpful, thanks! 

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I'm facing the same problem with my daughter. Hope some other moms have some answers. I decided to try a trial run cuz my dd's dev ped said to give it a shot as soon as she started waking up dry. And sometimes she's pulled at her diaper when its full.     The problem I'm facing is that she's more mentally capable of this concept than I thought. I figured since she was willing to lay down to pee, that she didn't mind where she went. I was wrong. She seems to be ok with going everywhere EXCEPT the potty. She'll sit on it and play games with me, but the moment she actually needs to go she screams to get off, then will go in the floor.

Sounds like maybe you should start now while he seems ok with going in the potty.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

If he doesn't appear ready (can't indicate when he needs to go/recognize when he's dirty, etc) then I wouldn't push it, but I would continue to put him on the potty so that he starts to really understand the idea.

Granny_Wanda
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM

That's a tough one, I have a 9 year old Grand Daughter, who still wets and messes at times. I try not to make a big deal of it, but..... When she was little I started her on the potty, with a drawer board, where she could draw and concentrate on that, the potty followed after a time. She is a holder also, so that can take some time. We made phone calls to family to tell them when she went. We used rewards, stickers, fruit snacks, but that became a food issue. When she started school all through pre-school and kindergarden she was in pullups and unders on over them, To help teach her big girls wear panties. The kids in her class were told to not make fun of her, but help her to learn that she needed to go to the bathroom to do her deeds there. That helped some. Now we are just dealing with 'I forgot" ....... I tried...... but always I send lots of clothes to school too.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Yeah, I think that's the right idea. I don't know how he could be potty trained until he understands when he's gone/needs to go. My son is delayed across the board, so I'm trying to approach this realistically, but at the same time I don't want to limit his potential by not even giving him the chance to learn. I'll just keep putting him on the potty and waiting for him to go and making a big deal about it until he seems to make some sort of connection. Thanks! 

Quoting amonkeymom:

If he doesn't appear ready (can't indicate when he needs to go/recognize when he's dirty, etc) then I wouldn't push it, but I would continue to put him on the potty so that he starts to really understand the idea.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

Now what? Should I continue putting him on the potty and waiting for him to go for awhile until he can understand the concept better? Or should I just dive right in to underwear and accidents?

The first option. Just continue putting him on the potty and waiting for him to go for awhile until he can understand the concept better...

I think you'd be surprised about the stickers. Not exactly a "sticker chart" just a poster where he collects stickers everytime he goes PLUS something he *really* likes -- to eat preferably. Def sing and dance and praise.

I wouldn't recommend underwear and accidents -- those are like negative reinforcements.

Good Job Mom! Oh and continue with the elmo play and ipad app and books :)

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Great advice

Quoting amonkeymom:

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
How old is he?
For now, put him on the potty as long as it isn't making him upset. If he gets upset, let it go.
Put the potty in the living room so he can see it and play with it. Let him play the potty apps and watch potty DVDs and read potty books.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)