Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

...do you use it?

DH and I know we can use it, but haven't yet. I know I really should get something set up for respite care because there are days I just need to get out of the house for a few hours and I don't really have anyone to watch DS. 

My mom lives with us and can watch DS only for short periods of time. My mom has some mobility problems, so she can't go to the park with DS nor does my mom drive anymore. 

I think my biggest worry is that the respite person won't know what to do if DS has a meltdown for some reason. 

Photobucket
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Replies (11-14):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I haven't feel tthe need to but it's good to know it is available to us :)

fivegirls333
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM

good luck.  i will not give you my tale of woe and trying to get respite.  they do not cover "qualified" caregivers and if they show up?...good luck feeling comfortable enough to leave them.  it has been a very lonely road.  i don't trust anyone...especially if the child is not totally verbal.

ttmmaa
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM

We have not qualified for respite care but I have paid for sitters to come on occasion. This has mainly been just for meetings I've had to attend but just being out alone can be a bit of a break.  For sitters, I have used a service that runs background checks. I was very upfront about the issues my sons have and they have (usually) sent me sitters that have worked with special needs kids in the past.  Overall, I felt fine with them but I kept everything easy--let him do his thing (stim, etc); let him have his favorite toys (trains); and here are the things he absolutely is not allowed to do. My son was non-verbal for a long time and even now is hard to understand but things have worked out okay during the times the sitters were here.

When my sons were younger my true respite came during two weeks of the year when my mom and dad agreed to watch the boys for us. One week was in the summer and one was in the winter. That time was great but I know not everyone has that option.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I pay 10/hr for sitters from care.com or sittercity.com.  Mention that my 6yo DS has ASD and I get almost all responses from either teachers,special ed aides,or students studying therapies or special ed.  Have had great results,and have been ab;le to get background checks on the sitters.  DS loves when a sitter comes.  Us parents all need a break.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)