Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Blood test for gluten intolerance?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:08 AM
  • 13 Replies

I was talking to my sons OT about his dairy intolerance and I mentioned that I was interested in trying a gluten free diet. She responded with "why don't you just get him the blood test?" 

Blood test? There's a blood test? 

She was of the opinion that *most* people who do not test postive for gluten intolerance on the blood test do not have a gluten intolerance, to the point where it's not even worth trying the diet if the blood test is negative. I've never heard this before, have you? What's your opinion? 

Also, I'm scheduled for an allergy test myself. I have chronic allergies (stuffy nose, sinus pressure, etc.) and I have not been able to find a medication to treat this, nothing works. Will they give me a gluten intolerance test while I'm there? My doctor said they would test for "everything", but I'm not sure what "everything" is. I'm not even sure if an "intolerance" is the same thing as an "allergy". 

Thanks! 

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
girl_incognito
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM

There are blood tests given to people suspected of Celiacs disease to check for certain antibodies. 

I don't believe these tests are routine either.

philipmommy4834
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM

My son had the test, he was negative.  However the gluten/cassein free diet has greatly helped his GI symptoms.  I think the blood test tests for celiac but not just for an intolerance.  I decided to do the diet on my own and I wish a doctor would have told me to do it earlier. 

smarieljlee
by Sara on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I am gluten intolerant even though  the test was negative

KatyTylersMom
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

There are blood tests for celiac disease, and then there are allergy panels for food sensitivities.  Neither are 100% and if the kid has been off gluten or any other food for a while then the blood tests may not show any allergy.  We did IgG blood tests for my son for his food sensitivities, and you can order a kit from Alletess Labs and have the blood drawn wherever you like and they should mail it off to Alletess for processing.  We did the smaller food panel which has 96 foods on it and I wanna say it cost around $100. 

Now.  All that being said my son responded really well to the GFCFSF diet while only showing the lowest of reactions (a 1 on a scale of 0-3) to wheat and milk.  So while I found the testing very helpful in that it let me know about 20 other foods that we should avoid (we stayed off them for a year, retested, and now he's down to 5 foods we avoid so it DOES get better as the gut heals), we were on the GFCF diet about 6 months before we ever did the allergy testing.  So if you want to try it, TRY IT.  Give any GFCFSF diet about 3 months before thinking that you've seen the maximum beneficial changes but if you cheat the diet AT ALL you are really not getting the full benefits. 

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Thanks everyone! I figured this had to be the case, I mean, why would everyone do the diet if they could just get a blood test :) 

I'm definitely getting the allergy testing done though, I have GOT to get to the bottom of my chronic stuffy nose. I have GI issues too, but I don't know if the two could be related. 

Now that my son has his diagnosis and is on the right track with preschool and services and everything, I feel like I can really take the time to focus on the medical aspect of Autism. We have a DAN doctor here, I just haven't had the energy to call her yet. *head spins* Maybe she can treat both of us, that would be convenient! 

kajira
by Emma on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I did not test positive for a gluten allergy and i'm very sensitive/allergic to it.

I also did not test positive for eggs, and i'm allergic to eggs.

Just because it doesn't flag the test, doesn't mean your body isn't sensitive to it. the BEST way, is to take out the food you suspect is a problem for 3-6 months and see how you feel.

I ended up in the ER after eating eggs for a few times a week for almost a year, I thought I was going to die. My blood count was elevated, and  I thought my gall bladder was going bad.

Turns out, it was an allergy to eggs.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Yikes, eggs. I know I'm going to end up being allergic to something(s), I just have no idea what it is. I'm betting that my GI sensitivities are going to be gluten (probably my son's too), but do you have any idea what could be causing my chronic sinus allergies? Antihistamines do nothing for me. I tried cutting dairy, and I found that it very slightly helped the GI issues, but that was about it. 

Quoting kajira:

I did not test positive for a gluten allergy and i'm very sensitive/allergic to it.

Just because it doesn't flag the test, doesn't mean your body isn't sensitive to it. the BEST way, is to take out the food you suspect is a problem for 3-6 months and see how you feel.

I ended up in the ER after eating eggs for a few times a week for almost a year, I thought I was going to die. My blood count was elevated, and  I thought my gall bladder was going bad.

kajira
by Emma on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM
dust? mold? Do you live in an apt building? If it's an older building or a house - sometimes mold can grow in the walls, along with other things that can really flare up allergies. Eggs make me get GI track issues where I wanna die. I really thought I was dying, I even made a mistake and ate some eggs a few days ago, been feeling horrible ever since. I forgot how badly they really made me feel. My doctor said heartburn and allergy type symptoms can manifest in ways besides hives and skin issues.... So, keep a log of what you eat and see if there's any relation to symptoms increasing with in a couple of hours after your meals... you might see a pattern.
Quoting lady_katie:

Yikes, eggs. I know I'm going to end up being allergic to something(s), I just have no idea what it is. I'm betting that my GI sensitivities are going to be gluten (probably my son's too), but do you have any idea what could be causing my chronic sinus allergies? Antihistamines do nothing for me. I tried cutting dairy, and I found that it very slightly helped the GI issues, but that was about it.  But honestly, prior to cutting out gluten too, I used to feel bloated and sick all the time, I couldn't eat tomatoes and other foods, since I went gluten free, I can have a bowl of spagetti and not break out in hives like I used too... eggs definitely seem to make me sick sick sick and I didn't connect the dots right away.

Quoting kajira:

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Thanks, that's a good idea, to keep a log. Our house isn't too old, but I do notice that my allergies are worse when I stay in certain hotels, so maybe it is a mold issue. Blah. 

Quoting kajira:

dust? mold? Do you live in an apt building? If it's an older building or a house - sometimes mold can grow in the walls, along with other things that can really flare up allergies. Eggs make me get GI track issues where I wanna die. I really thought I was dying, I even made a mistake and ate some eggs a few days ago, been feeling horrible ever since. I forgot how badly they really made me feel. My doctor said heartburn and allergy type symptoms can manifest in ways besides hives and skin issues.... So, keep a log of what you eat and see if there's any relation to symptoms increasing with in a couple of hours after your meals... you might see a pattern.
Quoting lady_katie:

Yikes, eggs. I know I'm going to end up being allergic to something(s), I just have no idea what it is. I'm betting that my GI sensitivities are going to be gluten (probably my son's too), but do you have any idea what could be causing my chronic sinus allergies? Antihistamines do nothing for me. I tried cutting dairy, and I found that it very slightly helped the GI issues, but that was about it.  But honestly, prior to cutting out gluten too, I used to feel bloated and sick all the time, I couldn't eat tomatoes and other foods, since I went gluten free, I can have a bowl of spagetti and not break out in hives like I used too... eggs definitely seem to make me sick sick sick and I didn't connect the dots right away.

Quoting kajira:

kajira
by Emma on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

What kind of cleaners do you use? I have huge allergy reactions to bathroom and kitchen cleaners and alot of hotels use bleach and other things to ensure the rooms are sanitary, so it's very possible it's related to household cleaning products.

My eyes water, and my sinus and nose and face go insane when I clean my bathroom.

Quoting lady_katie:

Thanks, that's a good idea, to keep a log. Our house isn't too old, but I do notice that my allergies are worse when I stay in certain hotels, so maybe it is a mold issue. Blah. 

Quoting kajira:

Quoting lady_katie:

Quoting kajira:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN