Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Have you ever had someone call the cops on you?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM
  • 60 Replies

My son has become impossible to take anywhere now.  When it comes time to leave, he goes ballistic. Well I've tried everything to get him to walk calmly to the car and its all failed. So as a last resort I put him in his carseat anyway, while he's screaming and kicking like a feral monkey.  I just feel like one of these days, someone passing by witnessing this scene might call the cops or cps on me. I'm just so tired of dealing with this everyday, since he does it after his therapies, which I can't skip. I'm bummed cause I just found out his insurance won't cover ABA , so he's just getting ST  and OT right now.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
My sons meltdowns were extreme after ot & st. Never really made lasting improvement during that transition to the car. I hated those days. Had a slight improvement with rewarding him when he waited until inside the car before meltdown. His behavior would become more verbally annoying which was better than the physical tantrum. Hang in there mom!
amonkeymom
by Amy on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

No, but here's a big (((hug))).

emarin77
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Is he ballistic all the time?  My son would have problems in the car if he was angry or too much stimulation was going on.  We just tried to work around the times to come him down.

Having him in ESE preschool helped my son further on how to behave getting on the bus and off and being patient when standing in a line.

Anoronlight
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep I have. It happened when my daughter was younger, couldn't talk and was still in pull ups....probably about 2-3 years old. Some old lady called the cops on me while my daughter and I were at a Walgreens. She claimed that I was beating the crap out of my daughter (but never saw me doing that except me fighting to get her in her carseat) because my daughter was having a total meltdown. It took me by surprise because as soon as I walked through the door, I got a knock a the door and it was a police officer. She was there to investigate what was going on. I told her what had happened, and that my daughter couldn't talk, but that she was free to see her. She asked my daughter a few questions, which was hard cause she couldn't understand her and I had to ask my daughter in a way I knew she would understand. Needless to say the officer was very nice and understanding when I explained and said that some people just don't get it and some aren't parents either and they just don't get it.

There was also times when I would be in Target and I would have to carry her kicking and screaming to the bathroom. Man did people look at me I was so afraid someone would call the cops. But I would carry her into the bathroom, sit down in the corner, wrap my arms around her and rock her gently. People would come in and out and I know people saw me, cause I wasn't in a stall, so I'm sure that's why no one called on me during those times, but I was certain that people would  because of how she acted.

If that happens, just don't worry...some people don't get it and instead of stepping (which I would rather someone do anyways first) to try and calm a situation, they just call the cops. All you have to do is explain what is going on and what his diagnoses is. Typically the understand and its no big deal.

Also do you have a community board for serviecs for people with disabilties where you live? We do here, there is Developmental Disability Resource Center and they branch off per county. If you go there you can ask about a CES wavier...that CES wavier will pay for ABA therapy, easily! You just need to get the paper work started and get any waitlist there might be for it.

Good luck!!

JennaPBug
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM

he's never had a problem going from the house to the carseat, he usually melts down going from the destination back to the carseat or from the carseat back into the house. It didn't used to be so bad, only would happen occasionally leaving the store or the gymcare. But now its a daily occurance.

Quoting emarin77:

Is he ballistic all the time?  My son would have problems in the car if he was angry or too much stimulation was going on.  We just tried to work around the times to come him down.

Having him in ESE preschool helped my son further on how to behave getting on the bus and off and being patient when standing in a line.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
JennaPBug
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Thanks for sharing your story! I try really hard to block out the gawkers, but I can't stand the old people that have to throw in " a good spanking will fix him right up". I doubt we have one of the boards, its a semi- small town and theres only one place that offers ABA. The lady said even though we can't afford the sessons out of pocket , she'll try and sit in on some of his other therapies and give tips to do at home.

Quoting Anoronlight:

Yep I have. It happened when my daughter was younger, couldn't talk and was still in pull ups....probably about 2-3 years old. Some old lady called the cops on me while my daughter and I were at a Walgreens. She claimed that I was beating the crap out of my daughter (but never saw me doing that except me fighting to get her in her carseat) because my daughter was having a total meltdown. It took me by surprise because as soon as I walked through the door, I got a knock a the door and it was a police officer. She was there to investigate what was going on. I told her what had happened, and that my daughter couldn't talk, but that she was free to see her. She asked my daughter a few questions, which was hard cause she couldn't understand her and I had to ask my daughter in a way I knew she would understand. Needless to say the officer was very nice and understanding when I explained and said that some people just don't get it and some aren't parents either and they just don't get it.

There was also times when I would be in Target and I would have to carry her kicking and screaming to the bathroom. Man did people look at me I was so afraid someone would call the cops. But I would carry her into the bathroom, sit down in the corner, wrap my arms around her and rock her gently. People would come in and out and I know people saw me, cause I wasn't in a stall, so I'm sure that's why no one called on me during those times, but I was certain that people would  because of how she acted.

If that happens, just don't worry...some people don't get it and instead of stepping (which I would rather someone do anyways first) to try and calm a situation, they just call the cops. All you have to do is explain what is going on and what his diagnoses is. Typically the understand and its no big deal.

Also do you have a community board for serviecs for people with disabilties where you live? We do here, there is Developmental Disability Resource Center and they branch off per county. If you go there you can ask about a CES wavier...that CES wavier will pay for ABA therapy, easily! You just need to get the paper work started and get any waitlist there might be for it.

Good luck!!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Have you tried bribery? I know some parents would gasp on what I'm about to tell you... my son used to have major meltdowns whenever it was time to leave the park so I started carrying lollypops in my pocket. So when my son threw himself on the ground screaming at the top of his lungs I'd say Brady you want a pop & it was like a light went on & all of a sudden he's up walking home with me eating his lollypop.
maciymommieof3
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM

((hugs)))

as far as Im concerned people are to into themselves most the time to worry about me.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I wondering if a promised reward after therapy would help? My son isnt a behavior problem, but a reward for anything that was successful always worked!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I just replied about a reward helping the situation! lol It always worked for us too!

Quoting Jenibob:

My sons meltdowns were extreme after ot & st. Never really made lasting improvement during that transition to the car. I hated those days. Had a slight improvement with rewarding him when he waited until inside the car before meltdown. His behavior would become more verbally annoying which was better than the physical tantrum. Hang in there mom!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)