Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can not handle the tantrums

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM
  • 24 Replies
My des is having an aweful night. He has been in a tantrum for almost an hour. He is throwing things. Which is something he does to get our attention. Normally we ignore it. Tonight was the first time I got caught in the line of fire. Good thing it was just a pearl eraser.

I love my ds very much but I can not stand these tantrums.

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM
How old is he? My 5 yr old ds when he has meltdowns throws things and hits and squeezing him helps. Or carrying him off to somewhere away from the cause of the meltdown.
Is your ds little enough to carry away or.pick up and squeeze?
Or something weighted like a blanket or vest? Sometimes I put my shirt on him and he calms down before going far. He only wears underwear inside so to him its a weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I understand. My son went through a rough year and he and a tantrum so bad one time he threw a toy at his sisters face. First time someone other than dh or I got hurt.  Fortunately we got a new behavioral therapist around that time and she was a miracle worker with him. Now he and his sister are best buddies. He is older too..almost 9 and able to control his emotions. It's so hard though when they go through this and get violent.  Big hugs!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Hugs mama...must be something in the air my son just had a horrible tantrum too.
Angelmevans
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM
He is 6 years old. I can't pick him up due to back issues plus he goes dead weight. He has a safe place in his room under his bed. Tonight is one if those nights were nothing seems to be working.

I just wish I could make these tantrums disappear. I know they do them out of frustration but it is awful to watch him go thru these and to deal with them
lucasmadre
by Kari on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Try and remember he can't stand them either. He is out of control and no one likes that feeling. I think alternatives to meltdowns can work. I bought my son a punching bag, taught him how to scream into a pillow, he has nerf soft balls he can throw around. He has built up a number of skills to deal with his anger and to get it out without impacting or hurting the people around him but I had to help him when he was calm to learn how to use them. Good luck. Tantrums are so distructive to everyone involved. I am sorry you are going through this, I hope it gets better soon. I always tell my son it is ok to be mad, it is what you do with the anger that matters. We always follow up anger with a talk about what it was about and how he can better cope by sharing his feelings and reaching out for help. He is very private but sometimes he will come to me with a problem.  Good luck-  xo

nora23
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Tantrums.are a great time to practice emotional detachment. It is very painful in the beginning to see them work through their feelings. Make sure there.is nothing painfully wrong with him. My daughter has a high pain tolerance to deep pain. Bless you with rest.
Angelmevans
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Finally after two hours he calmed down. I am glad it's over and like I told him tomorrow is a new day so we start fresh
Nova86
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I follow my son around to make sure he doesn't break anything. I don't talk to him. Any words from me escalates his meltdown.
LOVEBUG219
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:05 AM

My son just turned 7 and he has those meltdowns--first we try breathing through his mouth and nose- when that doesn't work we try talking while jogging in place because sometimes he is so angry he can't sit still helps him to get out that energy. Alot of these other suggestions moms  here said helps too. Hope that helps(hugs)

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:08 AM
When he has them can you direct him to his safe place at the start? kinda to prevent the things being thrown. or does it immediately escalate to throwing things?

Quoting Angelmevans:

He is 6 years old. I can't pick him up due to back issues plus he goes dead weight. He has a safe place in his room under his bed. Tonight is one if those nights were nothing seems to be working.

I just wish I could make these tantrums disappear. I know they do them out of frustration but it is awful to watch him go thru these and to deal with them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)