Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Which is more common?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:45 AM
  • 23 Replies

Which is more common, autism or ADD/ADHD? And is one or the other or both more common in boys or girls?

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xanadu96
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:12 AM
I'm starting to think they're both pretty common, but I'd say ADD/ADHD and they're both more common in boys.
Irish_mama_2011
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:21 AM

That's what I thought because I hear about it in boys a whole lot more than girls, I wonder why though? Is there any link between the two?

Quoting xanadu96:

I'm starting to think they're both pretty common, but I'd say ADD/ADHD and they're both more common in boys.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I don't know which is more common. But I do know autism is 4 times higher in boys than girls.

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:35 AM
From the Center for Disese Control web page.

Parents report that approximately 9.5% of children 4-17 years of age (5.4 million) have been diagnosed with ADHD as of 2007.

The percentage of children with a parent-reported ADHD diagnosis increased by 22% between 2003 and 2007.

Rates of ADHD diagnosis increased an average of 3% per year from 1997 to 2006 [Read article ] and an average of 5.5% per year from 2003 to 2007.

Boys (13.2%) were more likely than girls (5.6%) to have ever been diagnosed with ADHD.

Rates of ADHD diagnosis increased at a greater rate among older teens as compared to younger children.

The highest rates of parent-reported ADHD diagnosis were noted among children covered by Medicaid and multiracial children.

Prevalence of parent-reported ADHD diagnosis varied substantially by state, from a low of 5.6% in Nevada to a high of 15.6% in North Carolina.
You can read a report about the validity of parent-reported ADHD diagnosis
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Irish_mama_2011
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I would like to know if people with medicaid are more likely to get all the scheduled vaccinations, I was on it for my oldest son (who has ADHD) and I was threatened that Child Protective Services would take him from me if he didn't get them.

Quoting mypbandj:

Parents report that approximately 9.5% of children 4-17 years of age (5.4 million) have been diagnosed with ADHD as of 2007.

The percentage of children with a parent-reported ADHD diagnosis increased by 22% between 2003 and 2007.

Rates of ADHD diagnosis increased an average of 3% per year from 1997 to 2006 [Read article ] and an average of 5.5% per year from 2003 to 2007.

Boys (13.2%) were more likely than girls (5.6%) to have ever been diagnosed with ADHD.

Rates of ADHD diagnosis increased at a greater rate among older teens as compared to younger children.

The highest rates of parent-reported ADHD diagnosis were noted among children covered by Medicaid and multiracial children.

Prevalence of parent-reported ADHD diagnosis varied substantially by state, from a low of 5.6% in Nevada to a high of 15.6% in North Carolina.

A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM

The current ratio of boys to girls diagnosed with an ASD is 4:1; however, it is common for girls to be misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all. Dr. Tony Attwood has said he believes the actual ratio of boys to girls to be closer to 2:1. 

This video is about Aspergers because it is the "high functioning" groups (Aspergers/ "high functioning" autism)  where the major difference occurs.  I've read that ratio of boys to girls in the "low functioning" end is somewhere between  1:1 - 2:1. 

I was diagnosed this year at 27.

Quoting Irish_mama_2011:

That's what I thought because I hear about it in boys a whole lot more than girls, I wonder why though? Is there any link between the two?

Quoting xanadu96:

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Good question. Idk.

In my area, the kids with Medicaid have to get their shots at the health dept. so they go to a well baby check up and the dr reminds them to go to the get their shots. And I know many people who did not go. I mean, whether they were against shots or not, that was another trip, another appointment, more gas money,
Etc.

Quoting Irish_mama_2011:

I would like to know if people with medicaid are more likely to get all the scheduled vaccinations, I was on it for my oldest son (who has ADHD) and I was threatened that Child Protective Services would take him from me if he didn't get them.

Quoting mypbandj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Irish_mama_2011
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I've never heard of that, is it a state thing? I've only lived in Michigan and Pennsylvania and the shots are always done at the doctor's office. There are so many people who say there is no link between the vax and autism, but in other countries where they wait to vax autism is almost none existant and I've heard stories from other moms on here who have children with it and without it and the children with it had the vax and the children without it didn't get the vax, so I don't know how they can say that with a straight face.

Quoting mypbandj:

Good question. Idk.

In my area, the kids with Medicaid have to get their shots at the health dept. so they go to a well baby check up and the dr reminds them to go to the get their shots. And I know many people who did not go. I mean, whether they were against shots or not, that was another trip, another appointment, more gas money,
Etc.

Quoting Irish_mama_2011:

Quoting mypbandj:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Interesting to read all of the replies...thanks for sharing ladies as I had no idea!

kinshipcaremama
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Other countries also don't dx every kid with behavior issues and/or speech delay as Autistic! I think a lot of the ASD "epidemic" is of the VERY high functioning cases that other countries don't consider "Autism". Just another perspective that I am sure wont be very popular in this forum.....

Quoting Irish_mama_2011:

I've never heard of that, is it a state thing? I've only lived in Michigan and Pennsylvania and the shots are always done at the doctor's office. There are so many people who say there is no link between the vax and autism, but in other countries where they wait to vax autism is almost none existant and I've heard stories from other moms on here who have children with it and without it and the children with it had the vax and the children without it didn't get the vax, so I don't know how they can say that with a straight face.

Quoting mypbandj:

Good question. Idk.

Etc.

Quoting Irish_mama_2011:

Quoting mypbandj:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN