Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 11 Replies
I literally want to tear all my hair out.My son who is now 7 was diagnosed with autisim& ADHD a month before he turned 6.Well over the summer there were some changes to our school district,causing this huge merger of the two school systems,the loss of good teachers& programs and now my son is being suspended every week for behavior issues.He doesn't mean to misbehave,he just has sensory issues and at some point if the day has had enough or needs a break and doesn't know how to express that.Im a single parent.I work& support my family,no support system whatsoever,so when he misses days of school I am forced to miss days of work.Im a hairstylist/nail tech, so when I miss work I don't get paid.Im missing payments on bills and I feel like this is gonna end badly with stuff being disconnected.Stuff like electricity!Im scared and don't have anyone to turn to.I need a support group of some sort.A suggestion on a special needs school for my son in the city where we live.And a few pillows to punch to vent my frustration.
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Does you son have and IEP for school. If not get that done first. Also if he is having behavioral issues at school to I recommend talking to them about a BIP behavioral intervention plan. Do you recieve SSI for your son? If not I would look into that too. I would also recommend you talking to his therapist if he has one. If not I would look into getting him a behavioralist to help with the school issues Hope things get better momma and welcome to the group.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Welcome to the group!  Sounds very frustrating. You can definitely vent to us in this group. Hugs!

amonkeymom
by Amy on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM

hugs
I agree with Brenda.  Make sure your son has an IEP or a 504 plan at school and that the teachers are following it to the letter or even going above/beyond.  Talk to your son's doctor about therapy as well and maybe get both of you involved in some counseling to help work through all of this.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I agree with Brenda...hugs and good luck mama!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Hugs & welcome to the group!
regs_mom
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Thanks do much everyone for the support& hugs.Im heading to his school in a bit to go over his IEP and hopefully negotiate a behavior modification.Sometimes I feel like I'm not intelligent enough to handle this.We are not getting disability,I've applied but may have to get a lawyer.Again thanks all!!
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Here's more hugs and welcome to the group. Just remember that this too shall pass.
mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Talk about getting a behavior plan on his iEP, that should help I think. Or ask them for a functional behavior assessment. 

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM

hi im joy , very frustrating for sure

emarin77
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:58 PM

SSI would be given to you if you are fiancially are at or below the amount that is allowed to recieve SSI.  Does your state have the Medicaid waiver given to kids with disabilities?  He would receive direct services needed to assist the child.  Follow these tips too:

Quoting JTMOM422:

Does you son have and IEP for school. If not get that done first. Also if he is having behavioral issues at school to I recommend talking to them about a BIP behavioral intervention plan. Do you recieve SSI for your son? If not I would look into that too. I would also recommend you talking to his therapist if he has one. If not I would look into getting him a behavioralist to help with the school issues Hope things get better momma and welcome to the group.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)