Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

commitment for 12yr old DS today

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:00 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have a 12 yr old son who was finally diagnosed with both ADHD and autism this year. He is violent, defiant, and getting stronger. My husband has many health issues which would endanger his life if DS attacks him, so enforcing rules/discipline falls to me. Today, DS attacked me and bit my back. He then started talking about wanting to commit suicide. My husband is with him at the hospital now trying to get an inpatient bed at a hospital for DS. He is on meds ( we have tried many, both singly and in combination), He had an episode of EPS a couple of months ago and his doctor wants to get him off the anti-psychotics. This is increasing the attacks. He is in an all day B-mod program and does fairly well there. When he gets home it is right back to his norm. I don't know what to do. nothing seems to work and my husband and I are afraid of what DS is going to do next.

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Im so sorry. That sounds really hard. Your poor family. 

I cant imagine.... 

Have you looked into any programs? Ross Greene and the expolsive child? Or greenspan floortime? Or brainbalance center? Triple P? 

Ive had friends who have used the brainbalance centers and have gotten great results.. I subscribe to ross greenes theories and when my 5 year old (no almost 7) was talking about wanting to kill himself, it was a huge wake up call for me that I was failing him (not that your failing your son... That I was failing mine!) 

interesting artilce... 

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/8387-3.html

my heart goes out to you. What a difficult position to be in. i wish you and your family all the best. Youre in prayers. 

Anoronlight
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter was and still has episodes. We removed her from her ADHD meds that was making it worse and put her on another anti-psychotic. She takes respirdal.

We also had to put her in the hospital and have her re-evaluated. We were told since the ADHD meds are stimulants that was what was making things much worse. Since she has had one episode in June, two small ones in July and one this month.

I know it can be hard but the hospital will get him some help, especially if he has made a comment about sucide.

Hang in there mama!
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I'm sorry.  no suggestions, just a bump!  Hugs!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Hugs mom. I think a stay at the hospital sounds like a good place to start to think about what placement and support is needed for you as a family and for him.

shenandoah1965
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:38 AM

The hospital 'declined' to admit him BECAUSE he was violent! The agitation ws worse before the ADHD meds and much worse before the anti-psychotics ( both risperidone and seroquel) tomorrow I am going to get a release from his psych and try to find another dr. Hopefully, I can find someone who can do something.  We are out in the middle of nowhere so our options are very limited.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:22 AM

Big hugs mama!

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Sorry to read that you're going through this. I think that it's pretty clear that you're doing the right thing though. When I was in college, I had a friend who was 19 that was talking about suicide and I didn't take him seriously. He did end up taking his own life shortly after that. These things really do need to be taken seriously. Best of luck. 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM
So sorry mama (((hugs))) I honestly don't know the answer. My son is 8 & has similar episodes. It's scarey & exhausting. Right now my son takes ritalin which seems to help & I'm just very strict. If he acts out I take away things & sometimes that works. But I hear ya it can be very dufficult. (((hugs)))
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN