Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Regression

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

I know that regressions come with the territory here, and I have seen them in the past, but this one has me particularly disappointed. My son was doing SO well with learning alternative communication. We had him to the point where he was able to sign for "more", which meant that he wanted to make a request on his ipad. His behavior improved tremendously and he was like a different child for a couple of months. He was able to play independently for periods of time, and was generally in a good mood throughout the day. I was even getting to the point where I was going to reduce respite hours because he was becoming a pleasure to spend time with. 

Well, he's stopped signing for "more" without prompting (IE: "do you want more?") and has reverted back to whining and throwing tantrums to have his needs met. Once again, I can't leave him alone for a minute to go to the bathroom or something without him trying to pound down the door on me. Furthermore, when I prompt him to use the ipad now, he's generally only using it to request milk. I feel like we just turned back the clock. He's extremely frustrated again and having melt downs. I'm overwhelmed and wanting to get away from him all the time. It's so dissappointing. 

He's in the middle of transitioning out of home based therapy and starting school right now (the regression started before this, so I know it is unrelated). I haven't even met his new therapists yet, so that isn't going to help. 

I'm going to try making him a new choice board on his communication app with only 6 pictures that he will be highly motivated to request, and see if that helps anything. We were at the point where we had about 30 pictures on multiple choice boards that he was using, but since he's regressing I guess I should first try reverting back to basics. 

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
emarin77
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Regression is common with your son's symptoms. Even my  son who talks can go back to hitting me, on occassion.  When he does that I state to him to use his words (angry) we do not hit.  Then he realises he made a mistake and says I'm sorry and I will never do that again.  Witch in reality I do not believe is the truth, lol.  We all have our mess ups, especially as a child. 

I suggest you do the same for your son.  Tell him, we do not wine and cry we use our sign for more.  Start giving him a sticker every times he uses his signs.  Give him encouragement and let him know he can do it because he did it before. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I know any sort of transition or change in routine complete throws D for a loop! School is a big deal...maybe after all that starts to become routine, he will start making big progress again.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:57 PM

When Ashton is learning new things at a rapid pace or going through new transitions I will see some regression but it never lasts..sometimes he goes 2 steps forward, one step back and then 3 steps forward..

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM

hugs momma, maybe once in school, that will help

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Yep!  This sounds ike my son too!

Quoting Charizma77:

When Ashton is learning new things at a rapid pace or going through new transitions I will see some regression but it never lasts..sometimes he goes 2 steps forward, one step back and then 3 steps forward..

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Hugs mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)