Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Handicap Parking Permits For ASD Children

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:52 PM
  • 67 Replies

I was reading a blog today (link: http://autism-daddy.blogspot.com/2011/12/yes-you-can-get-handicap-parking-permit.html?m=1) called Autism Daddy. Here he blogs about how he was able to get a handicap parking permit for his son who has severe ASD. 

I had no idea you could do this. It does vary from state to state and he includes links to check your local state's DMV handicap qualifications. 

I honestly wouldn't get one for my DS, only because he has done much better with eloping and does not run off like he used to. We've had a few cases of him starting to take off from DH or I, but we've been quick enough to stop him and remind him of the dangers of doing that. 

What are your thoughts? If your state allows it, would you get one for your ASD child?

Photobucket
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xanadu96
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:18 PM
5 moms liked this
If my child had severe ASD I'd probably get a handicap tag. I know a mom whose 11 year old daughter is severely autistic and she physically struggles with her quite a bit so I can easily see how it would help when her daughter is with her.
SAMI_JO
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Yes, I do have one. Because he opens the door and starts running and never looks to see if anything is coming and I am not physically able to catch him. So I try not to take him by myself, but still it is helpful to be able to get them back to and in the car quickly, before they have opportunity to run.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Not for my ds. In fact, I'm always looking for ways for him and I to walk more.

But I do always park next to the shopping carts so that on the way back, he will always be in it and the groceries.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Aug. 31, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

i read the same blog today LOL. My husband reads it all the time. We figure if there comes a time that we feel we need it then yes we would get it. Ds has been doing so good about staying with us and holding our hand lately that we feel it's not necessary. I think it's great that they offer it especially since our children can take off in a blink of an eye. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:03 PM
If I really felt like I needed it, yes. But I don't. However, after seeing the qualifications in my State I'm a little peeved that my sons dr refused a temporary handicap sign after he broke every bone in his foot last summer. According to this, he totally qualified.

1. Hasaseverevisualimpairment;
2. Cannotwalkonehundred(100)feetwithoutstoppingtorest(ViolationKSA8-1,130);
3. Cannot walk without the use of or assistance from, a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device;
4. Isrestrictedbylungdiseasetosuchanextentthattheperson'sforced(respiratory)expiratoryvolumeforonesecond,when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg on room air at rest;
5. Usesportableoxygen;
6. Has a cardiac condition to the extent that the person's functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV according to standards set by the American Heart Association;
7. Severelylimitedintheirabilitytowalkatleast100feetduetoanarthritic,neurological,ororthopediccondition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:03 PM
^^^^sorry that copied and pasted funky. I'm mobile. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:05 PM

We got one because his eloping was so bad that they gave him a wheelchair for everyone's safety.

Jnc91
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this

So autism doesn't count in california...

"You may qualify for a DP placard or DP license plates if you have impaired mobility due to having lost use of one or more lower extremities, or both hands, or have a diagnosed disease that substantially impairs or interferes with mobility, or one who is severely disabled to be unable to move without the aid of an assistive device. You may also qualify if you have specific, documented visual problems, including lower-vision or partial-sightedness."

Still scratching my head on the whole no hands=the need to park closer 

jennymoon4
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:46 AM
We had one because the autism program my daughter was in was $11 per entry parking fee (drop off & pick up would be $22/day). With a disabled placard, it was only $3 per entry. This is something the doctors authorized for all the children in the program. We only used it for the time she was in the program as we didn't need it elsewhere. It's good to know it's available for those who need it.
SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I'm in Ca too and I still wanted to check and see what it said about our state. It sucks for those who have an asd child and could really use it.

Quoting Jnc91:

So autism doesn't count in california...

"You may qualify for a DP placard or DP license plates if you have impaired mobility due to having lost use of one or more lower extremities, or both hands, or have a diagnosed disease that substantially impairs or interferes with mobility, or one who is severely disabled to be unable to move without the aid of an assistive device. You may also qualify if you have specific, documented visual problems, including lower-vision or partial-sightedness."

Still scratching my head on the whole no hands=the need to park closer 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)