Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism diagnosis

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM
  • 12 Replies

My son was referred to Cincinnati Children's Hospital for behavorial issues. He has been dx with severe ADHD, ODD, Anxiety, Tourettes and a few other things. He was referred to Cincinnati children's hospital for these issues and more a couple of years ago and we finally got our first appointment this past May. We got a letter from the doctor a couple of weeks after the appointment and the Autism screening questionare that was done was positive but the doctor wants further testing. We have been back for the OT testing and next we do PT testing and the ADOS (sp?) test. My son's teacher last year said that she thinks he is mildly Autistic as well. How long does it usually take to get a diagnosis? 

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM

It varies by child and by the doctor.  Took us 3 years of testing for everything to aline correctly the last time; supportive teacher notes, my son displaying enough autistic tendencies during the testing, 3 years of OT and PT notes supporting the delays, a developmental pediatrician willing to listen, etc.  Some people I know got a dx on the first appointment.  Just depends on the child and evaluator.  Wish it was more consistent.  Hope your tests go well.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM

It can take a while.  It took about 9 months from start to finish for us (and my son was 11 when he received his dx).

benny1031
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:29 PM
I was able to get a diagnosis at the first visit I had his school psychiatrist look at him and do an eval then I filled out all the paper work and sent his iep and the eval from the school psychiatrist who I found out knows the doctor my son is seeing they are good friends . The diagnosis was spot on and we put him on risperidone and got him in an autistic class and he has made tremendous progress.
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:34 PM

the ADOS 2 test if for autism. that is how they diagnosed my son. It depends on the doctor who gives the test. we had our answer the same day but I have heard others having to waiting weeks.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM
It depends... The wait to see the doctor and what testing the doctor uses. We couldn't get a real dx until the 3 rd doctor!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammajen030407
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM

We are doing the ADOS test on Oct 9th and then we are supposed to see a doctor on Nov 1st to discuss findings of all of the tests we have had done so far. Hopefully I will get answers on Nov 1st. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Welcome to the group mama!  My son was diagnosed within a few days.  We got lucky with a great doctor!

BDSMI
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:24 PM
We too go to Cincinnati Childrens Hospital did all testing in Feb had diagnois in March they r great we see a doctor every three months and we have multiple doctors they r great
wildchild.com
by Janine on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Welcome to the group. I'm Janine my son Brady was diagnosed within days.
mammajen030407
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Any good insider advice for me about Cincinnati Childrens? Are you from there? We live 2 hours away so when we go we try to make a day of it and do fun things. The first time we went to the museum center and then went to play on the Levee after but I would love something really fun for the kids to do but dont know whats available. 

Quoting BDSMI:

We too go to Cincinnati Childrens Hospital did all testing in Feb had diagnois in March they r great we see a doctor every three months and we have multiple doctors they r great

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)