Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SSI...........does your child get it?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM
  • 13 Replies

and if so did you have to go to a hearing? I applied for my son a year and a half ago due to loosing multiple jobs since he kept getting kicked out of school/daycare. We had our hearing a week ago today and I had to take my son with me. He went in to see the judge without me but with my lawyer and while in there he almost flipped his chair over and my lawyer had to hold the chair down, he was unable to successfully tie his shoe after the Judge asked him to and he kept randomly yelling poopie in the mic. I know those things are innapropriate but he does not. Those are the type of things that he just does not get. Anyhow the judge had me in the court room maybe 30 min and said she would have a decision in a week to 10 days. I dont know if this went in my favor or not and at this point I dont even know if we will qualify financially and if so for how much. since I am working. I really dont make that much money though. 

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Well hopefully seeing your son in action works in your favor. We don't qualify for SSI so I am not sure even how the procedure is done. Good luck momma and keep us updated

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Good luck... I hope things go in your favor.
We dont qualify. Ive never tried. We have private insurance thru hubbys work. We are well off; but DS's expenses run us about 12,000-15,000 a year out of pocket. Our kids are costly. :(
miisha
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM
We didn't have to go through that. Ds was Pproved the first time within 3 months.
Idntreallycare
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I just got my son's diagnosis like a month ago, so we haven't done anything yet other than telling the school his diagnosis so we can start towards a 504. He's very mild though, so we don't want to take the benefits from other parents who need them much more.

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM

My son qualified at birth (long before the autism dx), we have never had a hearing.  Every 1-3 years they re-evaluate the health qualifications, annually the financial qualifications, and he has never been removed.  It is a lot of paperwork and jumping through hoops to keep it going; hopefully you get a good answer soon.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM
We don't qualify so I know nothing about it to give you any good advice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anoronlight
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:43 PM

We tried and sadly we don't meet income requirements. We did get it once and that was it and it wasn't much, but it was enough to do a little bit. Getting SSI is hard, you basically have to be dirt poor, like most other things really. I didn't have a hearing though...they deterimined that her disability was legit...I guess. But I have also heard that SSI makes you apply repeated times, I've heard its so they can weed out those who don't really need it. So hang in there and don't give up. I would assume it went in your favor, the judge needs to see that...but I have also heard that SSI is a pain in the neck once you do get it...cause if you get a payment one month and make to much the next, you have to pay the extra money back. A total headache.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM

We don't qualify but good luck mama!

mammajen030407
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM

All of you saying that you dont qualify......................when I gave them our income at the time they told me that we would qualify and between the 2 of us we were making 24.00 an hour and we have three kids in the house. 

BDSMI
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM
SSI is complicated yes we do receive it first u have to medically qualify this took us to a hearing but was cancelled because the medical testing proved he qualified next u have to qualify financially this is where it gets screwy and it is based on ur state ex we live in ohio they take my gross income minus the first 65 then subtract a preset amount for the NT child divide that income in half subtract the adult amount and then that is the income they count for ur child complicated but if u qualify they get state insurance so keep at it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)