Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to park alone.

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • 8 Replies
Ds is currently on respirodone, low dose. Lately, he has been trying to go places lone. Just a bit ago my neighbor brought him home from the park. I do let him play outside, with me checking on him. He has not this for a very long time. He even tries to go on the busy streets nearby.

What do I do?i have a call in to his doc t up his dose. But what else can I do!
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TheJerseyGirl
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Can you put locks on the doors to keep him in? Have you talked to him about this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I probably would not let him play outside unsupervised so he couldn't wander off.  We have a fenced in yard, and I still don't let him out alone.  Mine is 5 though, maybe yours is older.

miisha
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:05 PM
He's 10 and yes we have a double sided lock on the front door. We live in a 4plex. I let him outside but I do check on him frequently. Even more so now. I have talked to him about it. I told him if he did that and I couldn't find him, I would have to call the cops. He has been good for a couple hours now.

He just doesn't understand the danger. And it's getting worse.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Can you put locks on the doors to keep him in? Have you talked to him about this?

emarin77
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I never brought my son outside when he was a runner (3 years) unless my husband with me.  I have a physical disorder.  Now at 5 years my son is not a runner so I let him go out with me.  My son with Autism does not take medication.

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Where I live kids start going out and about without their parents in the first grade! I freak out at that, and my son is nine and I still hardly let him go anywhere alone.  I worry more about his safety in getting to and from places on his bike or kick skater than stranger danger, but nonetheless, worrying is worrying, right?

Is your son trying to get a sense of independence? Are there any moms or older kids in the neighborhood who might be willing to just keep an eye on him while he is at the park? I used to let my son go to a park near our house if he was meeting friends and then I would come about 10-15 minutes later, usually with drinks or snacks so it would seem natural.  Not once did he have any problem.  We have since moved and I don't let him go on his own anymore since it is much farther away but I do let him run to the store for me every once in a while.  He comes back full of pride and standing pretty tall.

Does he have a watch and can he keep time? Has he got a cell phone? It sounds like he wants to spread his wings a bit, and he needs to learn to do that in baby steps and by following your rules.  Maybe work going to the park into his after school schedule so he knows when and with whom he can go? Just some thoughts, and I hope you find a safe solution that works for you all! Keep us posted, Mama! :)

smarieljlee
by Sara on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM

He's showing you that he's not ready to play outside alone. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I have to agree here.  Hugs mama!

Quoting smarieljlee:

He's showing you that he's not ready to play outside alone. 

ezeria
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM
I am a parent of a runner. And a climber. Caught him on top of my car once! I am trying something called social stories in hopes it will help him understand all the danger. But he is fearless. The constant fear is horrible. But slowly I am understanding when and how its okay to let him run around alone. Those other times? I try to explain but tell him and no and just deal with the crying. But my son is only 5
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)