Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

holidays

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM
  • 10 Replies
So my son is 5 years old. He has been diagnosed with autism. I get a little lost when it comes to the holidays. For example, we stopped celebrating 4th or July the typical way because yhe loud fireworks upset out son. Halloween is coming up. My son hates wearing a costume and puts up a fight for the festivities like trick or treating. Usually once we get going and he realizes people give you candy its great! But I always feel a little guilty making him put on his costume and get going. Should I just let him stay home and not trick or treat?
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Honestly, I would ask him what he wants to do on those particular days and see what he says.  If he doesn't want to go trick or treating, then why take him?  I wouldn't.  It won't matter 100 years from now anyway.  Just do what makes both of you happy:)  Hugs mama!

ezeria
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Yeah I will probably do that. Thanks! Sometimes communication is so difficult though...
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM

What about the costume does he dislike?  If it's the mask, makeup, etc maybe find a minimal costume.  Don't feel so alone, when my son was younger I remember going to family celebrations later.  Do what he can handle.  Remember, it doesn't stay this way forever. ...Take Care:)

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I would do what makes him happy. My ds hates anything that covers his head so costumes are ok as long as they don't have to be on his head. If he doesn't want to go then I wouldn't send him 

mypbandj
by Jen on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Just let him pick. It will be an entire year from last time and he might like the idea this year. But if not, you can start new Halloween traditions. Like passing out candy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM

you can leave it up to him. My son loves dressing up, so it isn't an issue for us (although masks can be a problem). 

Maybe talk it up as it comes, let him know that you're going to dress up and get candy. If he doesn't like full costumes, maybe work a way around it (like dress him up with a pocket protector and put some tape on glasses, short pants and a button down and say he's a nerd)

maciymommieof3
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM

mine likes  handing out the candy....maybe try that.

ezeria
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions! I will try them this year
TheJerseyGirl
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM

D is the same! He has gone out on Halloween thru the years but also loves staying home and having the candy ready for others. He loves all holidays but if something about one really bothers him, I just let it go. I'd much rather he be happy!

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Or maybe he can wear a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt with a skeleton design on it. It's not really "costumey" if you know what I mean. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)