Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should we skip speech tomorrow??

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Jen
  • 8 Replies
My 3 yr old has speech once a week for 75 mins thru the school. He's been twice so far and both times, he's cried and felt very anxious when I left him. Just being a once a week class hasn't helped with the transition.

Tomorrow he starts preschool. It's somewhere else, 3 hrs long, and 4 days a week. I know he will stress and freak out tomorrow when we go tomorrow and so I'm wondering if skipping speech tomorrow would be a good idea. It would certainly lessen his stress level and he wouldn't have to do two things he doesn't want to in one day.

Next week, I feel like at least when he does do both, at least the preschool part won't be brand new.

Not sure what to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM

You know your child best.  It's ok to miss.... do what will help him.  Transitions are very hard on everyone.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Youre the mom, you know whats best... Sounds like it will push him over the edge... Id most likely skip... Id also let the therapist know how unhappy hes been- see if maybe 75 is too long- if she could give him a break- or change it up so its not so taxing.
Why do you have to leave during speech?
Perhaps you could visit him in tge other room in short intervals so he knows youre there... ?
mypbandj
by Jen on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM
It's like a mini preschool class. He usually stops crying but I can tell that he is still worried. He has anxiety. I drive him but the other kids in there come on a bus.

Quoting SamMom912:

Youre the mom, you know whats best... Sounds like it will push him over the edge... Id most likely skip... Id also let the therapist know how unhappy hes been- see if maybe 75 is too long- if she could give him a break- or change it up so its not so taxing.

Why do you have to leave during speech?

Perhaps you could visit him in tge other room in short intervals so he knows youre there... ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HippoCat
by Hadley on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I'd skip it.

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM

You know your kid best so go with your gut.  For my ASD kid, yes I would.  I clear everything the first week school starts back up so he can process through it all.  And I don't one bit feel bad about it.  We never really vacation, take time off from therapy, etc.  So illness, or something like that you bed we'd take a break if it would help him.  His therapists probably would not want him that week if we were scheduled anyway.

On a side note, I am amazed your 3 year old can do 75 minute speech sessions.  My kids' are all 30 minutes and they are done and ready to leave by 20 or 25.  No way could my son handle 75.  That is great if your son can do that!!!  Hope he has a great start to school!

TheJerseyGirl
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I totally agree!

Quoting Jenibob:

You know your child best.  It's ok to miss.... do what will help him.  Transitions are very hard on everyone.

mypbandj
by Jen on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM
It's actually a phonology group. One SLP, one para, and 4 little boys. It's like a mini preschool time.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

You know your kid best so go with your gut.  For my ASD kid, yes I would.  I clear everything the first week school starts back up so he can process through it all.  And I don't one bit feel bad about it.  We never really vacation, take time off from therapy, etc.  So illness, or something like that you bed we'd take a break if it would help him.  His therapists probably would not want him that week if we were scheduled anyway.

On a side note, I am amazed your 3 year old can do 75 minute speech sessions.  My kids' are all 30 minutes and they are done and ready to leave by 20 or 25.  No way could my son handle 75.  That is great if your son can do that!!!  Hope he has a great start to school!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Pretty much what I was gonna say

Quoting Jenibob:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)