Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How does you child do with homework?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Amy
  • 29 Replies

Is it easy or difficult for your child to get homework done?  Is it a fight/struggle to get them to sit down and work on it?

What helps them to get it done and to remember to turn it in?

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MotoStar
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

We homeschool, so we don't have "Homework". All of our work is done at home. My boy thrives on academics, so I don't have an issue with that.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM

My son's homework in kindergarten is mostly reading books.  He might have one sheet that he has to fill out but that is easy for him to fill out.  When it comes to reading Dr. Seuss books he will read if I read the next page or we take turns.

Bajanmama
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Ian (12) doesn't really do his homework so they stopped sending it. He gives me a very hard time, purposely does his sums wrong and then walks away. He's a whiz at math so I know it's on purpose. He works well at the center but he thinks work is for the daytime with the aunties and when he is home he can do whatever 

ezeria
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM
I have my son do it right after school. It seems the best way since its before he starts getting distracted
amonkeymom
by Amy on Sep. 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I'm wondering if I should talk to Colin's teachers about it.  I know he can do it though, he just doesn't like to.

Quoting Bajanmama:

Ian (12) doesn't really do his homework so they stopped sending it. He gives me a very hard time, purposely does his sums wrong and then walks away. He's a whiz at math so I know it's on purpose. He works well at the center but he thinks work is for the daytime with the aunties and when he is home he can do whatever 

jowen905
by Jan on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I give my 12 year old son a good 20 minutes to "destress" when he gets home from school.  He really never puts up a struggle, but he does get frustrated because he has difficulty with comprehension.  He and I have BOTH learned that if we keep our cool (and I esp. keep on a patient, even keel) that his work gets done much easier and quicker.  I think as he has matured, he understands the importance of his "attitude".

I do help him a lot with keeping organized, but he really does a pretty good job.  We also started giving him a (small) allowance each week for doing chores, including his homework, which is his number 1 "job".  He likes the paydays, so that helps.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Once we're in the routine he's usually pretty good about it but we have our days.
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM

My son is only 3 so it's not an issue yet lol.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Brady is too young for homework...I'll let you know in a few years!  LOL!

Bajanmama
by Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Ian's auntie said that he has a fixed idea of where he should do what. Work is to be done in a school setting only. He was only getting frustrated at homework. I guess you could try disguising it as something else fun.

Quoting amonkeymom:

I'm wondering if I should talk to Colin's teachers about it.  I know he can do it though, he just doesn't like to.

Quoting Bajanmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)